'New Old Ale' + hops in bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dleonard

Reaction score
Here's my idea.
I've wanted to do the northernbrewer 'New Old Ale' kit.
12 lbs. Maris Otter
0.5 lbs. Simpsons Dark Crystal
0.5 lbs. Golden Naked Oats
1 lbs. Dark Belgian Candi Sugar (end of boil)
1 oz. Galena (60 min)
Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast

But I've been on a hop kick, and I just bought 4 pounds of hops on the cheap. So I'd like to knock this up a notch, and throw some insane hops in there.
Hop Inventory:
1lb 5 oz of Cascade (pellet)
1lb+ Centennial (pellet)
1lb Chinook (pellet)
1lb Amarillo (leaf)
2oz Green Bullet (pellet)

My thought was something like this for a hop schedule.
2 oz Chinook at 60
2 oz Cascade, Centennial at 12
2 oz Cascade, Centennial at 5
2 oz Cascade, Centennial at 0
1.5 oz Centennial, Amarillo dry hop

I'm not aiming for super bitter, but I do want major hop flavor and aroma. I haven't plugged this into BeerSmith yet, but I'm guessing that I'll be at the saturation point in terms of what hops can give me.

This seems like I'm getting into the DIPA range. Which typically isn't a favorite style of mine, because the alcohol is prevalent, and the hops aren't. I'm really trying to keep the hops up front.

Thoughts?

I plugged this into ProMash.

For a 5gal batch, this is
- 127 IBU
- 28.7 SRM
- 1.079 OG

I don't think this falls into any particular style, given color and bitterness. The color falls into the stout/porter but bitterness is off the charts.

If it were lighter in color, I would call it a Weak Barley Wine.

Whatever you call it, you certainly won't be drinking too many at once time. :D

Have you done this yet? What did you end up doing?

I've made the New Old ale recipe based on Northern Brewer a couple times, and it always gets rave reviews, so I'd be reluctant to change it. But I'd love to hear how it turns out if you end up doing it.

Have you done this yet? What did you end up doing?

I've made the New Old ale recipe based on Northern Brewer a couple times, and it always gets rave reviews, so I'd be reluctant to change it. But I'd love to hear how it turns out if you end up doing it.

Unfortunately I haven't done this yet...
I bought a house and have been in moving mode.

Since you've replied I'll offer this, based on the hops I have listed above, what would you like to see tried?
Not to say I'll do it, but I'll give it strong consideration!

I would back off on the Cascade because I don't think this beer would go well with any strong citrus aroma. Chinook would be perfect. I think the 2 oz at 60 would be good and maybe you could move some of the Centennial to the 12 and 5 minute slots, as well as using it to dry hop. I haven't done anything with Amarillo, so I'm not sure about that one.

So maybe:
2 oz Chinook @ 60min
1 oz Centennial @ 12
1 oz Centennial @ 5
Centennial dry hop

??

(I dont' even do much recipe formulation, so I'm just going off the flavors of hops I know.)

I would back off on the Cascade because I don't think this beer would go well with any strong citrus aroma. Chinook would be perfect. I think the 2 oz at 60 would be good and maybe you could move some of the Centennial to the 12 and 5 minute slots, as well as using it to dry hop. I haven't done anything with Amarillo, so I'm not sure about that one.

So maybe:
2 oz Chinook @ 60min
1 oz Centennial @ 12
1 oz Centennial @ 5
Centennial dry hop

??

(I dont' even do much recipe formulation, so I'm just going off the flavors of hops I know.)

Well, Centennial is sometimes called Super Cascade, so if you're trying to get away from that citrus flavor, Centennial might not be the right way to go. But, having said that, I still like that idea. I think I'll also dry hop some Chinook. I think I remember reading somewhere that that works out well.
Here is a reference page for info about hop flavors.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Hop_varieties
I'm feeling lazy right now, but I'll firm up a recipe and post it tomorrow.
Thanks for some input!! :rockin:

Back