Where do you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you do most of your brewing?

• In the kitchen-- my temporary brew house, gotta gather up everything I need each time I brew.

• Outside-- my temporary brew house, gotta gather up everything I need each time I brew.

• In a dedicated section of my house/dwelling-- no temporary setups for me!

• In a dedicated stand-alone brew house-- the pinnacle of homebrewing evolution!

Results are only viewable after voting.

SavageSteve

Reaction score
Easy enough question: where do you brew?

Me, I'm a kitchen dweller, but will make the move to propane fueled full boils soon!

-Steve

Many partial boil extract and partial mashes in the kitchen on the electric stove, but the last two have been full boils out on the deck (propane burner on concrete stepping stones to protect the deck). I'm never coming back inside to brew. :)

I have a 2-car garage, but I built a workbench on the side which takes up room so we only keep one car in it. I've since modified the workbench into a workbench/fermentation chamber, and stuck a fridge on one side. All of my brewing equipment gets stored on the shelves until the next brew day. It's a good setup for me, since I brew 10g batches about once a month. Doesn't make sense really to have all that stuff set up and in the way for 30 days out of the month. However, I'd like to get a compact brew stand one of these days...more out of laziness than anything else :D.

DSCF0153.JPG

DSCF0230.JPG

I'm outside in the back yard, but it isn't much to set up. I put my cooler up on blocks on top of the picnic table, drain wort into my kettle on the burner and siphon from kettle to bucket for yeast buffet. Easy gravity ghetto rig.

Easy enough question: where do you brew?

Me, I'm a kitchen dweller, but will make the move to propane fueled full boils soon!

-Steve

Same here kitchen dweller for now, but going to buy my outdoor burner and 60qt pot soon, after a couple full 5 gallon boils it will be straight to AG, and after the process is dialed in, 10 gallon batches!

Depends on the beer, time of year, number of yellow jackets, and right now trying to not freak the barn swallows that have clutched on the patio too much. They catch yellow jackets and feed them to the chicks.

crw_5855.jpg

I got a propane burner last year along with a 8 gallon pot. I just got a wort chiller though in the last few months so I have moved outside now for everything. Love it. . .

Extracts in the kitchen
AG on the patio.

I have done the DeathBrewer stovetop AG method as well.

It really just depends on the time I have available to me on the brewday.

Up until now, I've always brewed in my kitchen. Tomorrow, I'm doing a 10 gallon batch, so I have to be outside. It's supposed to be sunny and 87 degrees tomorrow- I just hope it isn't windy. I don't have much of a shield for my burner.

I love brewing in my kitchen, so I'll only be outside for 10 gallon batches or on nice days. Since the weather here is cold at least 9 months out of the year, I don't think I'll brew outside very often!

The kitchen and the porch are my domain. Working on the final steps for the 3-tier AG super platform!

I just hope it isn't windy. I don't have much of a shield for my burner.

I just put a wrap of aluminum foil most of the way around my burner stand--it vents out the top and wind's not a problem. (Well, it'll still blow stuff into the kettle, but it's not a problem for the burner.)

I've completely taken over the garage of our town house. If all goes to plan and we close on the house that's currently in escrow I'll have my own dedicated brewhouse.

The backyard is 23500 sq/ft and its got a 12'x12' shed on a corner of the lot with a water supply and 20amp circuit. I really hope the VA appraiser signs off on it!!!

Sometime it's out in the back yard, but usually it's in the garage/driveway. I keep just about everything in the basement.

I brew on the covered back porch. I keep the majority of my equipment out there, so it's pretty handy.

The garage therefore I brew. I was kicked out of the house after my first extract, and then off of the back porch when the equipment ruined the ambiance of the back yard. Since being relocated to the garage I’ve made lots of friends who before were merely neighbors! The kitchen is again the gathering area and backyard is a place of Zen. This makes SWMBO happy.

i only have 5 brews behind me i did 2 brews in garage, and 3 in backyard. i prefer the back yard on my patio which is 30 x 12, and less concern about what the neighbors think of my 'meth lab'

it takes me about 6 trips to carry everything around, rig has wheels on it. everything else stored inside MLT, keggle or a couple totes

woodrig.jpg

I picked kitchen and outside. In the nice weather it's boil, mash, sparge outdoors, chilling in the kitchen. In the winter it's boil outdoors, everything else in the kitchen.

I usually brew on my back porch. It's covered and everything is convenient. I store my stuff in the Garage, which connects to the porch. The sun rises on that side in the morning, so I get heat for early morning brews and sets on the other side, so I have nice shade in the afternoon.

In the garage, all year round. By now nearly every neighbor has approached me and asked what the hell I'm doing, though I'm sure there are still one or two that think I'm doing something illegal.

I brew in my detached 24x24 workshop. It's better now that I put a deepsink inside and don't have to clean everything within the neighbor's view.

For right now, in my kitchen. If I owned the house (maybe sometime soon) that we are living in then I would use the attached shed for my brewhouse. Just need to run some plumping and electricity (or gas) and I'll be happy.

For now I'm on a patio between the garage and house. I had a boil over yesterday and it's wonderful how little I cared. If that was in the house I'd be murdered again by my wife. The closest room in the house is the kitchen which works out wonderfully. If I need something it's a quick walk.

I also have the kegger in the garage now which makes it the best.

I was in the kitchen , then the back porch with a burner. Finally got a permanent setup in the basement.

BrewStand.JPG

I ferment in another part of the basement - fermentation freezer, my office is downstairs as well, where I store the grain and mill. The old storage room is now the "beer room" with all the equipment and kegorator.

I pretty much rule the basement :)

I always brew in the garage. I keep kettles and burners in the garage and lug everything else up from my brew room in the basement.

beer002-1.jpg

beer006-1.jpg

beer010-1.jpg

I love looking through here for ideas.

Yeah, I have a 1000 sq ft basement in which I plan to turn into basically my own below grade ranch. Office, rec room, laundry, and storage for beer and Christmas pretty much.

Back