Scale up factor...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPooley4

Reaction score
When utilizing a scale up factor for a batch sparge recipe how do you calculate the target OG? Would I use the 10 lbs of grain for the calculation in the original recipe or the 10.96 lbs of grain called for with the scale up for the calculation? I know to use the 10.96 lbs of grain to make the beer, but was wondering if I use the original 10lbs figure for the calculation since utilizing a scale up factor to obtain the same original recipe.

Thanks ahead of time.

cp

You could always use the 11 pounds and if you overshoot in the kettle just add a little water. (never hurts to have a little extra beer to make up for losing in evaporation/transfers)

Nevermind. I think I figured it out. The scale up is there for the estimated loss of efficiency by using a batch sparge method. I could use the original grain bill assuming a certain efficiency for the OG or the scaled up grain bill using the proposed lower efficiency for the OG.

Back