Star anise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkeleybrew

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used star anise? I took a wiff of some in the spice rack and thought it could go well with some styles. Anyone? I could be way off here, I don't know.

I haven't used star anise, but I do think it would be good for a spiced ale. Maybe along with some fennel and make a black licorice stout?

Or you could go with a "Five Spice" ale and add some cinnamon, cloves, and ginger.

Wow, you got me thinking now. I may have to try either or both of these ideas!:D

Thanks!
:mug:

I used star anise in a licorice stout. I added 1/4 oz at 30 min. The flavor didn't come through very well because I overdosed the beer on brewer's licorice. When I take a second stab at the licorice stout this fall I'll probably use a full ounce of star anise and a tenth of the licorice.

How much brewer's licorice did you use last time? Was it overpowering? Could you taste the beer at all?

Licorice stout sounds awesome. I'll have to make it. I'm the guy that they make the 5 pound bags of black jelly beans for at Easter time.

I must say that licorice/star anise sounds appealing, especially in a stout. Also with some chocolate malt might be good. I'm just wary of making a bad batch, in terms of leaving it in too long, or not enough, haha that's the trick though isn't it.

I've used it to great success in a clone of Anchor's Special Ale. A little definitely goes a long way. Anyway, it's pretty good in a christmasy brew.

Latest posts

Back