Not trying to sound arrogant but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAD

Reaction score
Okay so hopefully the thread title caught some attention. Haha! It's not really a matter of arrogance, it's more likely possible ignorance. Okay, so let me just start by saying where I am in this whole beer brewing mess. I have only brewed one batch and it's not even done yet. So basically, I'm a complete n00b. My overall goal is to start making my own recipes or tweaking the popular all-grain recipes. The brew I am working on is a step-by-step extract kit. At first glance, all-grain brewing was like another language. But after LOTS of reading and question asking, I feel like I have a pretty good grip on it. My question is simply this: Can I make the jump to all-grain after only ONE batch of extract? I don't want to say that it seems easy, but maybe not as intimidating as I once thought. Tell me what you think.

Thank,

Ryan

It is nowhere near as intimidating as you think. Two things kept me from going AG sooner. Cost, which I found out wasn't really that much for the basics and the fear that it would be too hard. It's not. I say go for it.

Ryan,

find some posts by Revvy. He's written some interesting stuff about the Extract v. AG.

It's kinda like bait fishing versus fly-fishing. Certain fly-fisherman (AG) snub bait fisherman (extract) as inferior; yet, the goal is the same -- catch fish (make beer).

and, like most folks on here will say - this hobby is all about making good beer, no matter what your technique is.

The hardest part I had with my first AG batch (and happened to be 1st full boil batch) was avoiding boil-over (it's a lot trickier with 6.5 gallons of wort v. the 3 I'd use for extract), and the extra time to chill the wort.

good luck! :mug:

Is more nerve racking than difficult the first time. Kinda like sex...

But if you've read enough to have a good grasp of what your trying to accomplish go for it. Make sure you can measure your runnings volume and have a good thermometer.

Haha, sounds good guys. Thanks for the encouragement! So now it comes to the equipment, which seems pricey. I see a lot of people make their own MLT and just keep a big pot of boiling water going for the HLT. Is this doable?

My hesitation is still the time involved more than the difficulty. It already takes at least 2.5 hours from when I first fill the pot to boil till I've put the wort in the fermenter and clean up, and I have the process down pat at this point.

Haha, sounds good guys. Thanks for the encouragement! So now it comes to the equipment, which seems pricey. I see a lot of people make their own MLT and just keep a big pot of boiling water going for the HLT. Is this doable?

you need a big pot for full boils. I just use a pot for my HLT and my MLT is a cooler.

it does get pricy, but it is totally fun. You might even want to do a second extract batch while waiting to get everything together.

Go AG... I did 1 extract and wanted to have more control on what my recipes would be like. Immediately after my 1st extract I started building my MLT, Keggle and Kegerator.
I have only done 3 AG batches and they all turned out ok even for still being a NOOB... I would start watching some online videos from YouTube as those really give you a better understanding of what to do... I would recommend the Chris Knight series, I believe theres 8 videos for his AG.. .and he has additional videos for Kegging..

Cheers

Sure ya can! It doesn't take much extra equipment and once you get used to it time isn't all that bad either. I can knock out a brew in 4hrs. The only difference between AG and extract is the mash.....which is basicly just letting the grain rest at a desired temp for an hour. After that it's just like a full boil extract.

Yeah you won't have any problem doing all-grain. Its not nearly as difficult as it looks to a beginner. I know when your starting to prepare to do it the first time it seems like there is a lot to do and its complicated, but its not nearly so difficult as it seems.

I went AG after one batch and never looked back. I spent a lot of time planning and calculating before brew day (volumes of water, temps etc) so I just had to follow my own directions and not do too much overthinking or second-guessing. Definitely make sure you have 2 large (20 L) pots for the boil if you`re planning on using the kitchen stove.
Good Luck!

Did my first batch as an extract, then each successive was AG. I like building and tweeking things, so I felt AG was for me.

You can build many AG things on a budget. There are so many project threads around. In fact I just bought a 1/2 keg today for a keggle, and I already have intentions of a sight glass and valve... very cheap!

GO FOR IT!

I brewed quite a few extract batches before going AG, and I think that helped with the transition. (That and reading HBT daily for months) :mug:

Kind of like learning to drive on an automatic transmission before you have to figure out that whole clutch thing.

I'm on another board where there are 3 or 4 posters that everyone thinks are the brew gods. Those 3 or 4 people try to make it sound like AG is something one should only try for the first time with the help of a Monk or Bavarian guy in short pants.

But I'll have to agree with those that say AG isn't that hard. It is a little more work, but not that difficult. Go for it.

Monks and Bavarian guys in short pants would freak me out a little too much.

There are some things to consider going to AG, an MLT can be built rather cheaply. A large pot for a full boil can be expense. Getting a full boil if your brewing in a kitchen is a challenge but see "Flyguy - kichen brewing". (Use the search Luke). Some way to cool the wort quickly.

From there its the same same, but different thing.

If you got the time, and money to step up, then I would say take the ball and run Forrest. If you don't like it, I promise you can convert the cooler back, and still love the big pot and wort chiller doing AG batches.
Go forth and make great beer.

Good read here. I haven't even done my first extract batch, but I'm in all the way. Just received my Megapot, so I'm ready to go. I was wondering the same thing. Sounds like it is doable even for a new guy. Cool!

Back