Your best equipment find?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

persinger

Reaction score
About two weeks ago, I found an almost full "Basic Starter Kit" at a Goodwill store for $6 bucks.

Only thing it's missing is the Ale Pail with the spigot, but it came with an extra hydrometer, sterilizing solution, and digital thermometer, so I can live with a missing bucket.

Quick six bucks upgraded my brewing capacity by a third. :ban:

What've you guys found on the cheap?

free 5 gallon round cooler = mash tun for 20 bucks.
3 5 gallon carboys for $27
2 5 gallon carboys for free with more to follow once my buddy finds them

I scored a Keggle with ball valve and thermometer, 4 seven gallon carboys, 50' imersion chiller, a pump and other assorted smaller goodies all for $100. It made the conversion to 10 gallon batches pretty cheap!

Brand new 5 gallon rubbermaid water cooler = Free

Turkey Fryer, powerful enough that I have to back it way down on a 6.5 gallon boil = Free

Last night I picked up a True 3 keg draft cooler for free.... from a fellow homebrewer who is moving & wanted to keep it in the hb family. MAJOR score. I almost wet myself driving it home. :D

• Nice upright fridge for free

• 2 Sanke kegs for $30

• 20 lb CO2 bottle for $30

• 2 7gal carboys for $24

• 9 cases of bottles for $25

These were all craigslist scores. :rockin:

So far so good everyone! Here are my CL scores so far:

Sanyo 4912 #1: $80
Sanyo 4912 #2: $50

5 Corny Kegs, 1 10 Gallon round Igloo cooler MLT, 25' Immersion chiller, 2 Sanke kegs with all the holes precut, bunch of misc. fittings, ball locks etc. $60 !!!!

(2) 6-way manifolds w/regs FREEBIE!!!!
10g igloo $15
pepsi store cooler (2 cornies fit) $35
2g glass carboy $5
misc cabinetry and countertop for the brewroom $45
1g brown glass jugs $5 each

One of the guys I work with gave me a Sanke keg in pristine condition today. It has never been dropped and not a single dent in the sides. Said it had been in his barn for years collecting dust and wanted it out of the way.
He wouldn't take a dime for it!!!

12 cases of never-used 12 oz brown glass plus one case of aluminum bottles for free.

(samples sent to local brewery by bottling companies... They need the stuff on pallets for the bottling line)

8 kegs for $8 a piece (delivered)!

I've not posted about to yet but I have the makings if a fully insulated double element electric lauter tun waiting to be finished. FREE

11 cornies, 2 20# co2, 10cs of btls all free, 7cuft deep freeze $40, 5gal 2ndaries $7 ea brand new, 10gal round cooler free. another 20cuft deep freeze free (needs work)

I got this craigslist find...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/best-craigslist-find-ever-70771/

for those that don't want to click the link....
2 - 10 Tap Towers, Stainless Steel with Glycol Lines
6 - 1/2 Barrel Kegs, some with beer!
4 - 1/6 Barrel Kegs
21 - Regulators with low pressure gauges and shutoff
1 - Regulator with high and low pressure gauges
12 - Sanke Keg Couplers with Fittings

for $100

I scored this off of Craigslist last year for $200

Score1.jpg

My "best equipment" finds have typically not been money related.

They usually fall into. "FINALLY!, I have been looking for that exact piece/part/etc forever!" More of a difficult find rather than a good deal on the cheap.

I finally found the right thermowell and quick connects that have made all the difference in my brew day. Great finds and highly valuable pieces of equipment.

As far as money related...I got started in homebrew primarily on a guy "loaning" me his stuff and when he moved away he said.."Ah..keep it, i never use it anyway." Carboys, immersion chiller, small kettle, hydrometers, thermometers, tubing, capper, etc. Pretty much all i needed for extract on the stove.

The owner/manager of a local plumbing supply gave me all the hardware I needed to adapt from 3/8" soft copper to garden hose for my IC as well as the ball valves needed for my MLT and boil kettle.

Just wanted a six pack of beer. Thought it was interesting and I've invited him over on brewday whenever he wants.

a 5lb co2 tank, single regulator, hoses, sankey tap, faucet+shank, beer line cleaning kit, all for $50 from craigslist.

Upright no-freezer kenmore refrigerator, one year old, used just for insulin storage, never food; $500 new, got it for $200 from craigslist.

2 cornies free from next door neighbor.

I've not posted about to yet but I have the makings if a fully insulated double element electric lauter tun waiting to be finished. FREE

I'll take it! Oh... wait a minute. Maybe I misread that.... I ummm, I guess you aren't giving it away..... right?

I've been quite lucky, as I've stated in another thread.:D

Kegerator - Free
Full 5# CO2 tank w/ regulator - Free
8 corney kegs - Free
4 five gal. carboys - Free
Wort Chiller - Free
Misc brewing supplies, Hyrometer, funnel, carboy brush, floating thermometer, etc, - Free

medium sized chest freezer - $50.00

Draught box with three taps, five-line chiller plate, double reg, ball lock connections - free.

Hmmm.

12cuft chest freezer - free.
1/2bbl Sanke - $10 each
Cornies - $5.00 each
Maltmill - $50
1lb each Fuggle and Kent golding plugs (frozen 6 months) - free

Corny Keg - just dumped in the middle of the woods.

2 pony kegs my neighbor gave me, using them for fermentor now.

(7) 6 1/2 Gallon Carboys
(7) Primary Buckets
(1) Two Handled Keg
(1) 20lb CO2 Tank With Regulator - Full
(7) Selection Wine Kits
About 4 Cases Swing Top Bottles
About 15 Cases Wine Bottles

Tons of extras:books, stoppers, picnic taps, keg hookups, air locks, spoons, bottle auto filler, wine thief, etc.

All for $100

Back