First beer tastes like Wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
I find my first brew made with a Coopers Canadian Blonde extract kit tastes like Cheap wine with a hint of beer. Not that I mind since I love cheap wine and it still kind of tastes like beer.

I need to learn the flavours you guys are always talking about. I am not sure how to describe it other than it is like Wine.

Any ideas as to why? I used the coopers kit with Dextrose, (Malt extract wasn't available), It was in the primary for a week, secondary for two weeks and has been bottled for two weeks. It is a little carbonated but has a way to go, I might have to increase the temperature in my brew room as it it is still a little chilly in there at night.

Oh well any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

The most likely culprit is the dextrose, especially if the off flavor is a bit like apple cider. Using dextrose in large quantities (greater than about 1/2 lb per 5 gallons) can lead to off flavors like you describe.

since I've been drinking microbrews and what not I discovered that most cheap beers have a corn wine taste and smell to me now. Especially PBR ......I wonder if they dose with a lot of dextrose..

My next brew will not use Dextrose as I am ordering a complete kit online for my second batch, not sure what to order yet, but will decide within the next couple weeks. But we will see for sure then if it is the Dextrose.

But it doesn't taste bad, just not a real beer taste like I was looking for, as all beer it is drinkable....lol

most cheap beers have a corn wine taste and smell...especially PBR ....I wonder if they dose with a lot of dextrose.
No, that's actually corn you're tasting. They use a fair amount of it to lighten the overall flavor and body of the beer. Dextrose will result in a fairly distinct cider flavor.

Back