Can dead bines root new hop plants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherBock

Reaction score
It's spring now and I noticed I had a new hop bine growing unattached to my rhizome. I tossed the vines into the dirt last fall, but I think they were all dried and dead before I cut them. I hadn't thought about propagating.

Can dead hop vines take root and make new hop plants or do they have to be alive to propagate?:confused:

Hops can propagate from live (not 100% dead) foliage.

However, I have found in practice, that the stray bines are more often attached to long, horizontal roots.

Each spring, I dig a few feet away from the rhizomes in my garden to cut out these roots and keep everything contained. The length of the horizontal roots seems to be variety dependant. My chinook doesn't seem to send out any. Nugget and cascade, on the other hand, will send out "runners" 10-15' long.

Cool. This bine was definitely not attached to the rhizome in any way. If dead bines can't sprout new plants then I guess the bine was still alive when I tossed it aside.

after they are cut down "dead" if put into a pile or a mulch pile they can sometimes stay moist and root where they are. I always turn the pile after a few days to damage any new roots that may have sprouted, or burn the pile.

Heck, anyone with a compost pile could tell you about all kinds of amazing "volunteers" rising from the black stuff. Chunks of hop bines sprouting back to life is small potatoes ( <= which we've had plenty of ;) )

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back