Oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve133

Reaction score
My coworker and i were fighting over the best wood to soak up honey jack with to flavor a beer with. What is the best wood to use and not get the wood flavor in the beer to?

soak the wood in hot/boiling water for a while, change the water a few times that should get the wood essence out. i've never done this but it'as where i would start short of just pouring the booze right into the beer.

eastoak said:
soak the wood in hot/boiling water for a while, change the water a few times that should get the wood essence out. i've never done this but it'as where i would start short of just pouring the booze right into the beer.

Just pouring it in would it dramatically change the profile of the brew?

If you don't want wood flavor in the beer, then WHY would you want to use oak chips? Oak chips are made of wood afterall, we typically add them for the wood flavor...:confused:

If you don't want wood, just pour the bourbon straight in.

Revvy said:
If you don't want wood flavor in the beer, then WHY would you want to use oak chips? Oak chips are made of wood afterall, we typically add them for the wood flavor...:confused:

If you don't want wood, just pour the bourbon straight in.

Would that change the profile of the brew

Latest posts

Back