3 Tier System for All Grain newbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mannjb

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster. My buddy and I have only been brewing for 6 months and we recently decided to switch to all grain. We also decided that we're gonna build a three tier gravity system. We bought two sanke kegs, then picked up a third. We didn't realize it at the time, but the first two kegs we bought were European Sanke's (we didn't know there was a difference). Those Euro Sanke's were a pain to get the spears out, especially the one from 1998... much diff safety catch than the newer ones. Anyway, we now have two 13.2 gal Euro's and one 15.5 American. Does it make any difference which keggle we convert the American one to (HLT, Mash, or BK)?

We're guessing that if we're brewing 10 gal batches it shouldn't matter... but we're completely new to AG and we don't know for certain. We're thinking of using it for the Mash or BK. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Also, thanks to everyone on here for your posts about keggle conversion parts and where to get them. I've spent hours on this site researching this, and I just finally ordered everything up. Can't wait to get it up and running.

tally350z said:
I would def. use the american keg as your BK. This gives you the most space when boiling

+2 o. This. 13 gallons for a mash tun is good (unless your doing 10 gallons of a 1.095+ OG brew). I've got a 52 qt cooler I use, and a brew I'm planning is a stone ruination 10th anniversary clone 10 gallon batch. With 40+ lbs of grist on the bill, I don't think mine can handle it!

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely appreciate the input. Will certainly be using the American sanke for the BK.

Back