first all grain tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmock79

Reaction score
So tomorrow will be my first all true all grain. I have done several BIAB but finally got a cooler turned into a mash tun!!!! STOKED!!!!

Any helpful tips hints or general advice?!?!

I am using the stainless braid inside my cooler.

Plan on doing a single step infusion, batch sparge.

Doing a belgian pale ale.

Good luck. I did my first one last weekend. This weekend went a lot easier. My advice start earlier than usual. I finished today at 3pm last weekend I finished by flashlight.

mos def starting before noon tom. i try not to stress but i am already second guessing my process..

:D

mos def starting before noon tom. i try not to stress but i am already second guessing my process..

:D

Don't stress it. It worked great for me just took a lot longer than I thought it would. I may not be efficient but I am now making beer that is mine and mine alone. I figured out it takes right at 20 min for me to heat 3.5 gal of water to 165F on my stove. I figured out that 170F and 10 lbs of grain and me stirring will equal 155F pretty quick. I also figured out lifting a brew kettle with only 3.5 gal of water above your head and pouring is a lot harder than it sounds.

Oh I also figured out that if you mash inside when your swmbo gets home she will say "what the hell is that smell?".

Do it once, and you'll see what the hard parts are. Then read all about the steps that are hard for you and you'll hit your OG dead on your second time - that's how it went for me :) good luck!

the brew day went pretty well. we hit our final volume and our o.g. The only issue we had was hitting our mash temps. We were shooting for 152 and ended up at like 149-148.

All in all it was a good day!!!

the brew day went pretty well. we hit our final volume and our o.g. The only issue we had was hitting our mash temps. We were shooting for 152 and ended up at like 149-148.

All in all it was a good day!!!

Ah you are too lucky I have not hit my OG with desired volume. I can hit OG but never with the right amount of beer.

Back