Pacman Yeast Starter Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two weeks ago I brewed an IPA using a 1L starter of Pacman I harvested from a Shakespeare Stout. I pitched at 68 degrees, the fermentation was insane, blow off tube full of krausen and it looked like hurricane in the carboy. Two days ago I pitched a 2L starter from some washed yeast from the IPA into an amber. I aerated the wort that evening (shaking only), then waited until morning to pitch. I didn't see any activity until about 14 hours later, and for the last 24 hours, there has only been moderate activity, 1" krausen, and mild movement in the carboy. This time the carboy is in a sink full of water holding at about 62 degrees.
The fermentation is way less aggressive this time, and I'm guessing it's either because of the lower temperature, or because I didn't aerate again right before I pitched? This is only my 6th beer, so it's all new to me. I'm not too worried about it, but any insights would be appreciated.

Because resurrecting dead threads is better than starting a new one...

I don't think this question was answered /verified. Is there any salvagable yeast in the bottom of a 12 oz. bottle of Dead Guy (or multiple 12 oz. bottles of Dead Guy) ??

I ask this stupid question because I'm inspired to brew up one of the Dead Guy clones (way easier than trying to make up my mind on another recipe) and would like to try the Pacman yeast.

Otherwise I have to drive around a bit to find a store that carries the 22 oz. bottles of Rogue. :)

Because resurrecting dead threads is better than starting a new one...

I don't think this question was answered /verified. Is there any salvagable yeast in the bottom of a 12 oz. bottle of Dead Guy (or multiple 12 oz. bottles of Dead Guy) ??

My vote is "yes". I start mine from a single 12oz of Dead Guy.

I leave the bottle in the fridge for a couple of days so the yeast settles. Then carefully remove it and placed it on the counter, as to not disturb the sediment. I sanitize everything with a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol. Then open, pour probably 8-10 ounces into a glass, re-cap (I just hold the old one on with my thumb, no new cap), shake up the dregs, and pour into a flask containing 100ml of fresh wort. I step up by adding 250, then 500, at which point I run out of room so I crash, decant, and then add 1L.

I've yet to try the Dead Guy as I couldn't see anything in it at the beer store. I have made two attempts now at the Chatoe Rogue as I can see sediment in the bottom. I'm a little skeptical about the "if there's schtuff in the bottom, it worked" approach. I just decided to "wort over" my first wrangling attempt. I poured the clear beer off that had 3/8" sediment in the bottom into my hydrometer test tube. It read 1.046; I had this starter estimated at 1.040 or so over a week ago. Nothing. The last was much weaker, but I didn't think it had enough to build a cake. I think it is the sediment from my DME break as it all went in. I have successfully wrangled Bells 3 times prior with no issue. Well, I "worted over" the sediment and we'll see if anything takes. Nothing like reviving an old thread...next will be the Shakespeare Stout...

my 5th generation of pacman is working on an esb right now. the yeast is very versatile and has done very well for me. i've brewed a brown ale, stout, porter, and two batches of esb.

I now have a good store of pacman from yellow snow too. Just pitched two more 2L starters late last night and the were going well this morning.

I got inspired by all you and tried my own yeast harvesting for the first time with 3 bottles of Shakespeare Stout... Worked like a charm. Going back into a Chocolate Stout I am brewing today.

Lurker posting for the first time here. I harvested some Pacman from two bombers of chocolate stout last week. It looks like I have about a 1/4" of sediment in 700ml of wort, there are still small bubbles rising to the top. I want to brew soon, when is my yeast pitchable? Should I feed it more wort? I was thinking about making a quick and dirty small (3 gal) extract brew to see if the yeast is viable, and in case it isn't, then I didn't put too much effort and money into a bum batch. Should I bother or should I make a full batch?

Back