Adding a Spigot to my kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any advice on where to place the spigot on my kettle? My plan is to flatten a small area on the side and install a weldless fitting. I've built the bulkhead adapter and only need to get a silicone washer for the seal.

How far up? Should I place the dip tube near the edge, or towards the center?

On a flat vessel I personally put the fitting as low as I can get. If using a pickup tube I put it on the side so I can stir and let the wort sit after I chill to form a nice clump of break/hops in the middle.

I used a weld-less fitting with an adapter to copper pipe on the inside with a copper elbow, non soldered, and placed it 1/8" off of the bottom and it siphons great. I did not have to flatten the kettle to get a good seal. Check the assembled fitting along the top of the kettle against the curve. The washers are pretty thick and will account for some curve. I measured 3 times and still had to psych my self up before I could bring myself to drill a hole in a one time used 60qt pot. Step drills are great for this.

Back