Fermentation weak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bismarckbrew

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

I have a question regarding the fermentation of my most recent brew. It’s my second brew actually, so my thumbs are pretty green. My first brew was an Irish Red, as it entered the 2nd day of fermentation the trub was completely in suspension and remained there for a number of days. On April 20th I brewed a porter, it’s now Thursday night and although it may be fitting, it’s unfortunately as laid back as Bob Marley.:fro: It was going strong within 18 hours, sustained it until today, and now seems to backing off. The trub has never been in suspension and it seems like a very weak fermentation compared to my first brew. Should I be concerned?

Irish Red – OG 47 TG 03 Wyeast California Ale
Porter – OG 58 TG TBD Wyeast Ringwood Ale

Well, if it has a krausen, and you said it was going strong within 18 hours only to slow today, it could be that it was just a very quick fermentation. Also, it is very likely that it is in fact still fermenting even though you don't think so. You said it is a porter so it is probably a dark color which would make it difficult for you to see activity. Also, it is not uncommon for a batch to have an extremely active fermentation for a day or two and then slow down visibly, but still be fermenting.

Two things. Is it still bubbling? If so, you still have fermentation. Also, you can take a SG reading today, and then take one tomorrow. See if it changes. If it does, you still have fermentation.

I would check both of those things before you get too concerned.

RDWHAHB - There's no need to be concerned this early. Wait 6-7 more days and then check the gravity - every fermentation acts a bit differently and the airlock does not really tell you how it's progressing. There's no point in even checking the gravity this early, just relax and let it do it's thing.

what temps are you keeping your fermentation at? If its too hot you can have a quick fermentation that drops out real fast.

Latest posts

Back