First Batch - Not Much Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEER_4_BREAKFAST

Reaction score
HI!

I bottled my first batch a week and a half ago. I tried a few bottles (1 week after bottling) and the bottles didnt carbonate very much so the beer tastes a little flat. Will they carbonate more the longer I wait? Was I supposed to cool the water/sugar mixture before I added it? I put it in while it was still hot. Any other ideas as to why they didnt carbonate much?

THANKS! :mug:

If you put hot water in, you could have shocked or even killed a good portion of the yeast population living in your beer.

Also a week and a half is probably not long enough to really get a good carb for many beers.

Be patient with it. RDWHAHB.

If you put hot water in, you could have shocked or even killed a good portion of the yeast population living in your beer.

I was thinking that could be the issue, but it seems the temp would even out pretty quickly because its such a small amount of hot water/sugar going into a 5 gallon room temp carboy. I mixed it as soon as I put it in.

Hey, you're not Revvy.:D

Seriously, put that beer where you can't see it. Out of sight, out of mind. In three weeks, four would be better, even more would be best, give it another shot.

Will do. Being my first batch, I was obviously really excited to try it out. It tasted pretty good, my wife even liked it. I'll wait another week or so before I put anymore in the fridge to drink. :cross:

Thanks!

I waited and my beer is now well carbonated and tastes pretty good! I must say that I'm pretty happy that my first batch turned out so good. :)
Thanks again guys.

hot water won't kill yeast. I just boil the primer and then put the pot in a water bath for 10 minuts or so to cool it a bit. You just don't want boiling water to go in there, but even if I doubt you'll kill enough yeast to cause problems. I just pour the less-than-boiling primer in the bucket and rack on top, by the time you've got a gallon or so of beer in there the temps will even out.

Back