Gelatin and Hefeweizen, too clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modenacart

Reaction score
I was getting very nice banana and clove notes in my hefe and I used gelatin to finn it in the keg. Well, now its the clearest beer I have made and the nice banana and clove notes are almost completely gone. Has anyone else had this problem?

The yeast and the other floaties must contain the flavors. I have not tried to clear a wheat though. I want them to be cloudy. How does it taste?

All the flavour of a hefeweizen is in the yeast. By adding finings you dropped out all the yeast and consequently all the flavours. You want a hefeweizen to be cloudy so in the future you will want to skip the finings.

Taste kind of like a lager except not as smooth. Its ok, but not what I wanted. Head retension is great though.

Next time, no finnings. Reason I useded finnings this time is the beer looked like mud after two weeks conditioning and one and a half weeks in the keg at 40 F.

Taste kind of like a lager except not as smooth. Its ok, but not what I wanted. Head retension is great though.

Next time, no finnings. Reason I useded finnings this time is the beer looked like mud after two weeks conditioning and one and a half weeks in the keg at 40 F.

Really?! That's strange. How many days primary? 2 weeks secondary and 1 1/2 weeks in the keg and its like mud? really odd.

Are you sure you weren't basing your opinion on just the first few pints out of the keg, which will almost always look like mud just because you're sucking out all the sediment?

I made the same mistake once. Just let it be next time, no need for a Hefe to be clear.

Back