Starter Longevity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outbred

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm brewing a high gravity belgian ale so I wanted to put together a starter to do it right.

I made it up and then a bunch work issues decided to tag team me and I've been so busy that I forgot about the starter until today....8 days later.

The operative question is, can I still make a slurry from the yeast cake that has accumulated and will it do any good?

Also, if the yeast has become too dormant to kick start a huge brew, is there any way I can salvage it? (e.g. add some more DME and wait a day to brew?)

Your opinions greatly appreciated!

The yeast is just fine. You can rouse it up and pitch it, but it would probably help to add some DME the night before to get it going a little bit. Welcome to the HBT!

Glad to be here.

Thanks for the quick reply!

That's what I was hoping to hear. In addition to caring about the health of the beer, I really love to watch the fermentation go and didn't want to rush things.

I love having a hobby that combines my work (molecular bio) and personal interests (beer and darts) so well.

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

Thanks again.

Haha, really?

Yeah, I work in immunology on hordes of mice, hence "outbred".

This hobby seems to attract a certain set namely scientists, pseudo-scientists, jacks-of-all-trades, the mechanically inclined and of course the refuse-to-believe-that-I-can't-do-anything-myself-cheaper-and-better.

Outbred said:
Haha, really?

This hobby seems to attract a certain set namely scientists, pseudo-scientists, jacks-of-all-trades, the mechanically inclined and of course the refuse-to-believe-that-I-can't-do-anything-myself-cheaper-and-better.

I guess I fall under the jack of all trades.:D

Outbred said:
Haha, really?

I have a couple mouse projects going myself, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

Back