Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another update on flavor . It just keeps getting worse . I cold crashed one of these for a few days and then set it out for another week . The spoiled fruit taste went away but now it wreaks of vinegar . The smell hits my nose when going for a drink in the glass and then the taste is strong also . Very strange indeed .

Sounds like someones got an infection.

I have probably brewed this 10 times by now, and have made a few changes over time, with experience. I used 8 lbs of Gambrinus Pale Malt and 2 lbs of corn, and 8oz of Uncle Ben's rice today, with Denny's Favorite 50 yeast. It was so clear coming out of the boil kettle, I wanted to get a picture of it. I only did a 60 minute boil, but until I got down to the last 3 to 4 inches in my 5 gallon brew kettle, you could see straight through it. I don't know what it is about this grain bill, but it is crystal clear compared to other recipes from start to finish. This is one of my go-to recipes, and always will be. Thank you so much.

just took a reading and taste, still tastes bitter. recommendations?

I actually noticed the same thing as i was draining into my fermentor. Then i tasted when i racked to secondary and the strong bitterness was gone. Albeit flat mine tasted like a mix between Miller Light and Heineken Light. its carbing now, can't wait to taste the final product but give it some time, im sure that bitterness will mellow like mine did.

Look at the BJCP guidelines. Hop variety does not matter. Shoot for about 17 IBUs and you should be golden. I have never seen any bitterness in any of mine.

I've been watching this thread for a while, realized I've never made a light beer - at least nothing this light. I usually make a batch of one of Jamil's Kolsch recipes each year and consider that my lawnmower beer, but this seemed like a new challenge. Lawnmower season is upon us, and.....why not?
I finally tapped the keg today. It has been in the beer chest for about a month. Not quite clear, but I totally spaced on and forgot the Irish Moss / Whirlfloc step near the end. It's close though and will no doubt become clearer if I give it time, and if it lasts.

This is a great recipe! Reminds me of so many cheap beers, only a little better. I think I will lower the corn ratio just a tad next time, it's just a tiny bit to apparent to me. otherwise, fantastic.

I have not read all the way through, so forgive my question if it has already been asked.
What doe the Rice add? I know I can leave it out. Just wondering hpw big a change this would be?

Thanks!
Martin

I have not read all the way through, so forgive my question if it has already been asked.
What doe the Rice add? I know I can leave it out. Just wondering hpw big a change this would be?

Thanks!
Martin

Nothing but alcohols. Good choice here.

So I made the recipe and increased the rice in the grain bill. The beer was great, exactly as described.....and absolutely crystal clear in 30 days. I added gelatine twice as I wasn't worried about stripping flavor...because of the crowd this beer appeals to. I used 2 oz willamette and 1 oz crystal. I didn't care for the hop flavor......this was a 12 gallon batch. The beer was great my preference is not for these hops.....maybe just the crystal. Any suggestions? Maybe a German hop? Maybe a Czech hop? Honestly I think the beer tasted like old Milwaukee, which is impressive for my first time......now for those hops......

Any input on the higher adjunct possible causing the hop flavor to shine too much? AAU's and process was dead on.....?

Also to clear the air.....no peach from safeale at 60, although I did increase the temp as fermentation progressed.

Here is mine. Sorry if pic is sideways. It's not spilling.

image.jpg

I would like to brew this using what I have, and unfortunately all i have for hops is Citra,Zeus,amarillo,simcoe,cascade,centennial, and chinook. my cascade is old and gross looking. What hop would best fit the bill?

I would like to brew this using what I have, and unfortunately all i have for hops is Citra,Zeus,amarillo,simcoe,cascade,centennial, and chinook. my cascade is old and gross looking. What hop would best fit the bill?

i'd use the lowest aa% one to be honest. remember you want a small IBU, barely noticeable. having said that, the hops are added at 60 mins which should mean it imparts minimum flavour to the final product anyway

Brewed this yesterday....bubling away today. The weather has been cool, but now it's going to be 90 in two days...better fire up the ferm chamber for the first time this year.

Used quick grits instead of corn, so we'll see how it turns out.

Just tried my adaptation of the recipe

6lb 2-row
2lb flaked corn
1lb flaked rice
1oz Willamette - 60min
1/2 whirlfloc
US-05

Only fermented for 10 days at 68 and it came down from 1.043 to 1.008. Kegged for a week and it is fantastic. Its hard to tell that it isn't a lager. Clear, crisp, and way too easy to drink. I don't really get any sweet corn taste either that a lot of people have had problems with, even with my short grain to glass time.

i'd use the lowest aa% one to be honest. remember you want a small IBU, barely noticeable. having said that, the hops are added at 60 mins which should mean it imparts minimum flavour to the final product anyway

So if i want to impart less hop flavors wouldn't it be better to use the highest AA hops I have, and aim for a low IBU, that way I would be using less of them? Or would a high AA hop make more flavors as well?

I had a vinegar problem with this brew . Infection . How ever I just opened another bottle to make sure no bombs were brewing before I had time to dump the stuff and this bottle seems to taste just fine . Hopefully just one bottle turned to vinegar but I think that would be way too much good luck .
Tastes like nothing much like most blondes . A good dry hopping would do this stuff a solid.

If there is an extract version posted, I'm sorry, I couldn't find it. A friend of mine is a Mr. Beer brewer and is interested in expanding his horizons, but not yet ready to make the full jump into all grain. Here is an extract version of the Cream of Three Crops recipe I came up with for him and am looking for a little feedback. My goal is to keep the ABV under 5%. I was also thinking maybe just doing a mini-mash with the corn, rice, and maybe 2lbs of 2-row. I'm using the Kolsch yeast only because I have it on hand, but could use US-05 if anyone thinks it would make a difference for the better.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Cream of Three Crops (Extract Version)
Brewer: JayDubWill
Asst Brewer:
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.11 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.61 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.14 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 3.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.9 IBUs
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8%
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract (2.5 SRM) Extract 1 66.7 %
1 lbs Rice Extract Syrup (7.0 SRM) Extract 2 16.7 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 3 16.7 %
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 10.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 4.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Yeast 6

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 6 lbs
----------------------------
Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

I went to the LHBS today to get the ingredients to brew an 11 gallon batch this weekend. I had the intention of cutting the corn and rice back 50% and adding some cane sugar as BM had mentioned earlier in the thread so I would have had 12lbs two row, 2lbs flaked corn and .5lb minute rice but the LHBS only had 1lb of flaked corn left so I know it won't be a true cream of three crops but do you think it would be along the same line if I only use the 1lb of corn and up it to 1lb of rice and adjust up with cane sugar to get me to 1.040? Thanks

quantrellc ;
Not sure but I think you really need that corn in this for flavor . This has very little flavor to begin with .
A word on rice . all rice does is raise ABV . It is used for this because it does not change the profile of the beer by adding in flavors or mouth feel etc. and I think does not dry the beer out like table sugar . So I read from an expert one time .
I was drinking this last night and in my opinion losing corn would result in a very flavorless beer . How about using corn meal ? Just harder to filter since it is ground fine .Or crushing some whole corn from feed store and giving it a boil to convert the starches .... then mash

Every time I have entered this, I have gotten remarks about the corn/DMS flavor, which is actually listed as commonly found in the text of the BJCP guide. I got so tired of hearing it, I renamed mine to Cornhole Cream.
It is like you enter an IPA and the judges note: Lots of bitterness and hop flavor/aroma.
Yeah, dipstick judge. It is supposed to be there, or at least is allowed.
To be fair, judging is more difficult than it would seem, and you never know if they have been judging (drinking) all day.

Starderup ;
The more of this I drink the more I like it . it has a mellow flavor that I think may be the corn .
I am thinking of brewing again with more corn this time .
What do you think on that ?
What do think about a late crystal addition maybe an ounce at 5 or 10 to add some of that good crystal aroma ?

About your quote .. My dog used to walk by the coffee table and use his pit bull tail to knock off glasses or bottles of beer . then he would look at you like " I am sorry for that accident " then start licking it all up .

Brewed this on April 15 as written, 5 gal batch and kegged on May 17th. O.G was 1.046 and F.G is 1.01 abv 4.72%. It is an easy drinking, clean crisp beer with some corn aroma and flavour. Goes down easy, pleases the crowds. Nice for summer. Clear as can be, see my brew kettle through it? :mug:

DSC_0747.jpg

My cousin the bud drinker came by and had one of these . he said it is the best beer I have made . The only other he really liked was the AG nut brown very close to the Lil' sparky version .
I am definitely making more of this .

A couple questions . How would this work as a Lager ? What type yeast would be used ?
I just bought a fridge ( thanks Crown Exteriors of Wichita for that great deal ! Scratch and dent for 80 bucks ! ) to ferment in and thought perhaps a lager would be nice

My cousin the bud drinker came by and had one of these . he said it is the best beer I have made . The only other he really liked was the AG nut brown very close to the Lil' sparky version .
I am definitely making more of this .

A couple questions . How would this work as a Lager ? What type yeast would be used ?
I just bought a fridge ( thanks Crown Exteriors of Wichita for that great deal ! Scratch and dent for 80 bucks ! ) to ferment in and thought perhaps a lager would be nice

If you used 029 Kolsch yeast, I think it would be good. It's a little more temperature tolerant than a true lager yeast, but still gives that crisp,clean lager flavor.

Thanks for the tips I went to brew this Sunday and realized I was almost out of propane so I will get more corn and brew next weekend. Thanks again

Thanks for the tips I went to brew this Sunday and realized I was almost out of propane so I will get more corn and brew next weekend. Thanks again

I think you will enjoy it just as the recipe goes . Very good beer. Drinking one right now with a good angus cheeze burger.

Brewed this on April 15 as written, 5 gal batch and kegged on May 17th. O.G was 1.046 and F.G is 1.01 abv 4.72%. It is an easy drinking, clean crisp beer with some corn aroma and flavour. Goes down easy, pleases the crowds. Nice for summer. Clear as can be, see my brew kettle through it? :mug:

I can see you have too much gelatine in the beer same as me. That beer should be pouring out :mug:

I am going to brew this as a 5.5 gal batch should I cut the hop ammount in half or use 1 OZ crystal and 1OZ willamette for 5.5 gal batch?? Also I am using flaked rice instead of minute. Can I use a little irish moss in boil for clarity

My swmbo brewed this as one of her first few solo batches, having brewed it with me once before. Her results though I must admit were better than mine. What a bright beer.

20130605_164436_HDR_Hagrid.jpg

20130605_164505_HDR_Ingrid.jpg

I am assuming that the beer in this glass is ambient temp as it does not show any chill on sides of glass, mine looks that clear as well but when its cold its slightly hazy

I am assuming that the beer in this glass is ambient temp as it does not show any chill on sides of glass, mine looks that clear as well but when its cold its slightly hazy

Nah it was cold, I wiped the condensation off the sides of the glass but that's an ice cold beer right off the keg.

Still a great beer . Getting ready to drink another .
Still hoping for a reply on adding more corn to this recipe . Any one ? Seems like it would add in some nice flavor , well except for those who seem to not like the taste .

I brewed this recipe as-is and cracked open a chilled bottle after one week of carbonation. I almost think the carbonation is perfect already. This is hands down the best brew I have made thus far. Thanks BM! This is SUCH a winner my wife liked it and she doesn't drink.

As with all beers, you should brew what you like. The style calls for little or no hop aroma or flavor, but if you like it, do it. BM might have an opinion on this. You look like you are doing allright from what's on you brewing list.

As with all beers, you should brew what you like. The style calls for little or no hop aroma or flavor, but if you like it, do it. BM might have an opinion on this. You look like you are doing allright from what's on you brewing list.

I agree. I normally like to pour blondes through a good hop like Chinook to add a pine hop flavor but this beer is so good I drink it as it is and in fact tried pouring it through hops and it just did not set right .
I am thinking of a bit more corn in it however and maybe a bit more of the hops to offset that but not much . I would hate to ruin a tasty beer like this .

Back