OG way off...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambafish

Reaction score
Basically I'm in the "can it be fixed?" stage.

Brewed a Rye IPA and only added boiled 2 gallons to start rather than the typical 2.5. Racked the wort into the carboy with the remaining 3 gallons of water, aerated, took a sample, pitched the yeast ... only then did I realize it was diluted by almost half a gallon.

OG 1030, but should have been 1060.

Was brewing this for a friend who is coming to town, but feel like pitching it. My sample tasted watery. Thoughts?

Beer will end up being watery. You COULD mix up a small amount of pale DME (make a small batch of wort) and add to the fermenter once cooled to give it a little bump.

Are you sure your sample was thoroughly mixed? Not sure how an extract batch could be off by that much, assuming your volume going into the fermeter was in the ballpark. You certainly wouldn't lose 30 points due to being off by a half gallon. I say let it ride and give it another taste in about 10-14 days. My guess is it will be fine.

I was just thinking about adding DME. That will help bring the gravity up a tad, but it's still going to have less body.

Anyway, thanks. Kicking myself.

Re mixing. Funny you should say. Typically I don't aerate a ton. This time I rolled the carboy to ensure it was well mixed and aerated before pitching the yeast.

Back