hop additions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerhammer

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas on adding hops to an extract brew.I have fresh fuggles,topaz and stella hops.I also have challenger pellets.I was thinking of doing a bitter or lager kit.I know how to do a 10min hop tea boil.Apart from that Im at a loss.I live in the uk,so things like NB extract not avalible.Coopers,muntons, betterbrew,youngs and brewferm are my fav kits.Open to all ideas.Thanks in advance folks.

I did a SMaSH IPA Wheat lager since its cold enough in Nevada right now to lager. It could be a good experience for you.

My personal recommendation is use the fresh hops in the hop steep (AKA add at flameout) and dry hopping. Fresh hops almost always have a lower IBU than their pellet amigos so adding the pellets for bittering and flavoring (60 and 30 minutes) will maximize the bitterness you get. Guess it depends on how many challenger hops. Also I'd recommend checking to see what flavors you get from hops.

gingerhammer said:
Sounds like a plan...any details ?greatly appreciated.

I did 6 lbs of wheat DME. It is so simple it's worth spending the short amount of time. You could pick a Malt extract you haven't tried yet and possibly use the strongest hop you have if you want an IPA or maybe just a smooth pilsner.

Back