Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just found my hydrometer broken. It was 19 years old and passed down from my dad. Its what I get for not storing it in its container. At least I made it 3 years without breaking it

741. But, I'm out of CO2 and need some ingredients for the next batch or 2. I think I might pick up a couple hydrometers, just in case it happens again.

742 Somehow I lost the cap to the sheath. I was walking across the kitchen from the beer cabinet to the sink to sanitize. My girlfriend said something from the other room. I quickly turned to hear what she was saying, but didn't realize I was holding the hydrometer almost parallel to the floor. The hydrometer went flying out of the sheath like a jai ali ball.

I finished my batch and started another one before I replaced it. I have both batches a little extra time to make sure they were done.

743. I just need to leave it in the sheath until I get out to the garage. Fortunately I had an extra. I'll have to buy another extra.

Didn't help me, broke because it was in the sheath and I didn't see that the clear cover was off. Who puts a clear cover on these things really? Guess it's one way to ensure I buy another.

745-- was shaking some sanitizing solution off of it and the damn thing exploded in my hand. Glad I wasn't cut.

747 - Have no idea how it happened. Put hydrometer into pot filled with PBW solution, along with a vinyl hose and some other stuff. I remeber putting the hydrometer last, I turned around for a minute or two, turned back and suddenly noticed two pieces of the hydrometer floating in the solution. I have no idea how it broke, I'm sure it was still intact when I put it into the cleaning solution.

748 - It finally happened. I was cleaning it in the sink with a soapy sponge, and it slipped right out of my hand, shattered in the sink. The wife picked me up TWO on her way home from work. Winning!

749 it was in its case on the counter, I bumped it and it rolled to the floor and hit the tile just right!

Carrying too much beer stuff and it slid off the pile.
Now have a hydrometer and refractometer. I'll probably bust the refractometer, too.

I broke 2 in a row. The last one I was putting it back into its holding tube and the bottom plug fell out.... Never even got to use it. LOL

753 I only got one reading out of mine before my bottle capper fell into it as I was moving equipment to a "safer" place. Worse yet, that one reading was an OG for an extract batch, so basically unnecessary

I had my brew stuff in the spare bedroom and it has one of those lights that warms up so it is initially dark. The room is used for me to put my suits on in the morning. I have one of those triple stacked plastic containers that holds my socks so it was pulled out on the bed. Hydrometer slipped right out of the tube and landed on the corner of the pulled out drawer. Needless to say, pretty sure I got glass in my foot this morning.

755, didn't even get to use it once before I dropped it

Broke 2 last year, 1st one died on my 1st brew day as I put it in it's container I didn't realize that the bottom was loose and it fell thru to the ground. Second one died while doing a partigyle, double decoction brew. It was a long brew day and needless to say I was tanked by the end and kinda threw it on the ground accidentally.

Didn't even break this one. My brother took it out of the cabinet to get something out, show how it slide out of its tube. Gunna have to make a trip to the LHBS to buy another....

I didn't realize there was a thread on this one.

Count is now 760...damn thing rolled off the table while I was brewing. (I bought two more)

+1 however many that is :confused: 763. I was being so careful too. Cleaning up, washing stuff after pitching, etc. Very carefully put the clean hydrometer on a towel to dry, continued to wash and leaned a plate up against the pot I had there draining........and it teetered and fell over........on the hydrometer. Sigh.

This is awesome. I just found this thread. If I only knew about this since the beginning. I've lost count, and finally gave up and got a refractometer. But I know I broke 2 last year. So +2 for last year, 765.

getting a $30 refractometer off of ebay was one of the better brewing purchases i've made in the last year. some things like a chiller and temp control will improve the quality of your beer, and folks should probably invest in those first. a refract falls into the "makes life easier" category. i can't imagine brewing without one now.

Assuming cpesko is adding 1 to the count, and counting the one that broke when I dropped it (in the tube mind you) - 768

+2=771

First one rolled off the counter on my very first brew day. The second I dropped while still in the plastic tube; at least that one was easy to clean up.

Hey, If I found a hydrometer I thought I'd lost/thrown out after the first time I tried brewing (20 years ago?), can I subtract one of my losses?
I didn't think so.

Back