any one from newfoundland,? I need a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason1973

Reaction score
sorry if wrong forum, but no forum for this recipe, figured mead be closest.
So any one here from newfoundland canada, i lost my recipe for lemon gin(not really a gin, closer to a wine or a mead)
if any one has recipe be much appreciated, aint brewed any in about 15 years and dying for a drop.

let me describe brew, incase some one knows recipe by another name.
fill 5 gallon ferment bucket about half way with tap cold water, add lemons and limes wedges, stir, fill 3/4 way with kettle boiled water, add malt, can be table sugar, honey, molasses or beer malts, my mother preferred white sugar i preferred molasses, stir, fill to full 5 gallon with kettle boiled water, stir,
float orange slices on top, float piece toast apply yeast on top of toast,
seal and insert airlock, let ferment 1-3 month's dependant on type yeast(champaign best, most people use bread dry-active.)
open remove toast and orange, filter inter secondary, seal with airlock, let set another month, bottle, can drink after 24 hours chilled, but best if chilled in fridge or cold cellar for a year or more.

I also would like the recipe if someone could post it. Sounds good.

sorry for the wait.
I forgot all about this, so hers the recipie

1 gal. warm water-2 packs of rasins -4 1/2 cups of sugar/molasses-3 lemons(sliced)-2 oranges (sliced)-1 slice of bread-1 pack of yeast.

mix all ingredients in 5 gallon bucket exept yeast and bread. when ingredients are mixed lay bread on top of mixture, then pour yeast on top of bread cover and let stand for 1 month strain and bottle for 1 week. dont have stoppers on tight. when clear its ready to drink.

sorry for the wait.

1 gal. warm water-2 packs of rasins -4 1/2 cups of sugar/molasses-3 lemons(sliced)-2 oranges (sliced)-1 slice of bread-1 pack of yeast.

mix all ingredients in 5 gallon bucket exept yeast and bread. when ingredients are mixed lay bread on top of mixture, then pour yeast on top of bread cover and let stand for 1 month strain and bottle for 1 week. dont have stoppers on tight. when clear its ready to drink.

my mother just covered with a towel, and she toasted her bread.
and she made 4 gallons at a time in a 5 gallon pale.
she found bread fell apart if not toasted first
forgot my mother always made two batches regular and spiced, spiced is simple put teaspoon of cinnomon on toast with east.

sorry for the wait.

woops im just as late

what size pack of raisins?
also
question's
my mother taught e to slightly toast bread so it don't fall about.
you ever try to not us thee bread?
also taught to drape a damp towl over pail, would a lid and airlock be better?
taught to bottle lossly you try to carb your brew?
also you try to use half raisin and half craison?
I was taught bread yeast you trys brewers?

Latest posts

Back