Changing the recipe a tad, have questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
Well, tomorrow is a brew day, hooray! I'm going to cook up a strong winter ale to be bottled and mostly be given as christmas presents. Anyway, I found a recipe that looked good, but I wanted it to strengthen it up a bit in the alcohol department. The recipe called for 6# of amber LME and 1# of amber DME. A guy at my LHBS instructed me that I should add 2# of super light LME, so I will. I didn't think to ask until I got home, but should I change anything else to balance out the change in taste from adding a bit of extra malt? The recipe calls for 1.5 oz of cluster hops (60 min.), .75 oz chinook (15 min.), and .75 oz hallertau (5 min.). The chinook and hallertau were only sold in 1 oz packets, so should I maybe add the full ounce of each? What would you fine folks do here?

Ah, excellent question. After inputting the recipe into beersmith, it would appear that with the recipe you posted, including the 2# of extra light DME, your IBU:GU (International Bitter Unit to Grain Unit ratio) would be 0.613. That puts it slightly above balanced, into the bitter side. I'd say you're fine with that recipe!

Thanks for doing that! I have a mac, so no beersmith for me :( Maybe I'm dense, but did you mean the original recipe is balanced, or the changed recipe is balanced?

Back