Corona bottle labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcannon46609

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
I just bought bunch of beer making stuff from guy on Craigslist who also gave me nearly 200 bottles as well. The problem is that they are Corona bottles and I have no idea how to get the labels off. I have scrubbed the crap out of them but nothing is coming off. I really do not want to throw so many bottles out if I can use them.

I've read about Corona labels being hard to remove, but for bottles I've cleaned so far a soak in soapy warm water for anywhere from a few hours to 24 hours followed up with a scouring pad is a great way to remove labels.

never used Corona bottles, but a soak in Oxyclean works AMAZING on everything else I've used - 90% of the labels just end up floating off on their own, the other 10% peel right off.

Yeah I use Oxiclean however I don't use corona bottles - they are clear and unless you are carbing and bottle conditioning in a dark place your beer could get off flavors due to light exposure or so ive read.

Yeah I use Oxiclean however I don't use corona bottles - they are clear and unless you are carbing and bottle conditioning in a dark place your beer could get off flavors due to light exposure or so ive read.

The clear bottles let in UV light and UV light interacts with hops compounds, producing skunky beer. Amber bottles block most (but not all) the UV light, hence why most beer is bottled in amber bottles. See - How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors (scroll down to near the bottom)

use starsan. i have also used some no mix acid. ill have to look. i fill the bottle with water for weight and stand in a bottle. works a treat for corona. red strip a little harder.

I have heard that Starsan works, but I am not close to a brew supply store. I am trying to soak the bottles in a tub of lime juice in the hopes that the acid will eat at the paint and at least make it easier to get off.

I have cleaned off several corona bottles to use with apfelwein. Starsan, mix at double strength, soak for 6 to 12 hours let dry and most of the paint will wipe off the rest (usually only a chip or 2 ) will come off with a srubbie pad or just soak again for an hour or 2 and let dry and wipe off. I try to combine it with brew days or bottling days to reuse the starsan.

VINEGAR & WATER WORKS GREAT!

I know this is an old thread, but I just came across a good Corona paint remover by accident. I was soaking bottles in oxiclean and they were left with a film because of my hard water. So I soaked them again overnight in a water and white vinegar (probably 10 or 15 to 1 ratio).
The corona painted labels wiped right off.
Cheaper than using your StarSan too. Buy the big jug from Costco.

If you use those bottles, make sure they are in cases, or you will get some skunked beer :)

Taking Corona labels off is absolutely the easiest; Allow the bottles to soak in undiluted Muriatic acid (buy this at Lowes or any hardware store) for 15 min. Rinse and scour with a nylon pad.
Easy, peasy lemon-squeezy!
I fill a wide-mouth quart canning jar half way with Muriatic, and fill the inside of the Corona bottle with warm water to speed things along.
Do this in a ventilated area 'cause there will be some caustic fumes generated.

I have a few people that save bottles for me and I get a lot of Corona bottles, with Heineken bottles, along with screw top bottles also. What I do is go down to my local distributor with them and exchange those bottles for ones that I can use. It's probably your best bet. I wouldn't waste time with trying to remove the Corona labels. They are painted on the glass and it would probably be too much work to try and get them off.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.:drunk:

They reuse those bottles and spin them with bb's to clean them. Those labels ain't coming off.

badbrew said:
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.:drunk:

They reuse those bottles and spin them with bb's to clean them. Those labels ain't coming off.

I used wifes cheap nail polish remover and they came off without an issue.

This topic baffles me! When I use Corona bottles to bottle/carb, they are exposed to light for MAYBE 15 minutes before getting stored away in the dark.

So those 15 minutes will ruin the beer? It's not being hit with UV light from the sun...just my kitchen lights

This topic baffles me! When I use Corona bottles to bottle/carb, they are exposed to light for MAYBE 15 minutes before getting stored away in the dark.

So those 15 minutes will ruin the beer? It's not being hit with UV light from the sun...just my kitchen lights

Just add a teaspoon of Difluorobenzophenone to each bottle and you will be ok.

Unibrow said:

Probably not. Indoor lights don't hurt the beer (unless it's a sunlamp or tanning bed or something like that maybe). Even still, I only use my Coronas for lemonade and cider just to be safe.

I don't see anything wrong with using a clear Corona bottle, other than the label being painted on the glass, that's the only reason why I don't like/use them. UV rays hitting my beer isn't a concern of mine. My glass carboy that I ferment in is clear, and so are a few of my growlers as well.

toast said:
I don't see anything wrong with using a clear Corona bottle, other than the label being painted on the glass, that's the only reason why I don't like/use them. UV rays hitting my beer isn't a concern of mine. My glass carboy that I ferment in is clear, and so are a few of my growlers as well.

Any clear vessel - bottle or carboy or whatever - will let in uv light. If your beer is exposed to uv light (including that coming from fluorescent lights) there is the chance of it becoming skunked. The longer/stronger the exposure and the hoppier the beer, the greater the chance. Also, this is a cumulative effect - if your beer is exposed for 5 minutes on 5 different occasions, this is the same as it being exposed continuously for 25 minutes. Each exposure will skunk a small portion of the beer, perhaps unnoticeable at first.

Clear vessels are fine as long as you take necessary precautions like covering your carboy with a dark towel or shirt, limiting uv exposure, etc. When you say uv light hitting your beer isn't a concern, I'm not sure if that's because you're taking precautions or because you don't think uv light can harm the beer. You'll be fine if the former, but you're risking skunking your beer if the later.

Clear vessels are fine as long as you take necessary precautions like covering your carboy with a dark towel or shirt, limiting uv exposure, etc. When you say uv light hitting your beer isn't a concern, I'm not sure if that's because you're taking precautions or because you don't think uv light can harm the beer. You'll be fine if the former, but you're risking skunking your beer if the later.

Yes ^^^^ this is what I figured. I like using Corona bottles not in spite of their clarity or painted labels, but BECAUSE of these things. I'm not entering these into competitions, and it's easy for me to keep them in 12 pack boxes or in a closet until they're ready for the fridge.

Any clear vessel - bottle or carboy or whatever - will let in uv light. If your beer is exposed to uv light (including that coming from fluorescent lights) there is the chance of it becoming skunked. The longer/stronger the exposure and the hoppier the beer, the greater the chance. Also, this is a cumulative effect - if your beer is exposed for 5 minutes on 5 different occasions, this is the same as it being exposed continuously for 25 minutes. Each exposure will skunk a small portion of the beer, perhaps unnoticeable at first.

All my fermentation and bottle conditioning is done in my closet...Where it's dark. :)

Back