Brew 365 Ruination Clone: Trustworthy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
Hey, I recently got to try a Ruination through a friend of mine who came back from the brewery... Loved it!!! I saw a clone of this on Brew 365... My question to you is this a trustworthy recipe????

Here is the recipe:
All Grain Recipe - Stone Ruination IIPA::: 1.078/1.017 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill

14 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (40L)
1 lb. - Munich Malt (10L)
1 lb. - Carapils
Hop Schedule (98 IBU)

1.75 oz - Magnum (60 min.)
1 oz - Centennial (30 min.)
1 oz - Centennial (10 min.)
1 oz - Centennial (1 min.)
2 oz - Centennial - Dry Hop in secondary
Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 150° to 152° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 66° to 68°

Mostly, I think this looks very good. Three minor inconsistencies with what is on Stone's website are: 1) They list using Columbus & Centennial rather than Magnum & Centennial, 2) They list the IBUs as 100+, 98 for this recipe though that is darned close, and 3) This recipe comes out to 8.1% abv whereas Stone's lists as 7.7% abv. Those are all really minor though & I think in theory this recipe looks like it would taste right.

2 Row & Crystal are used in the BYO clone recipe - no Munich or Carapils. The hops are pretty much the same. I used WLP007 the first time I brewed this and the second batch was even better with S-04 dry yeast. An excellent beer not exactly like I remembered Ruination but worth the effort.

Ok I also have the BYO recipe as well... and am considering using S-04 rather than the WLP-002... I think I'm gonna stick with the BYO...

Btw i think when this was published on Brew 365, Stone was using Magnum, they switched to Columbus last year I think.

I have brewed the BYO Stone IPA recipe a few times. Not exactly the same, delicious none the less. It calls for WLP002 English, I prefer it with WLP001 Cal. Worth brewing!

I agree that they must have switched from magnum to columbus. I remember reading on their website a while ago that they used magnum, just like in their pale. I have made the BYO clone and definitely siggest using wlp001 instead of the english ale yeast if you want it to come out like the original.

I was thinking about using us-05 or S-04 for this one... But here is the problem... I just plugged in the BYO recipe into Promash... The IBU's are off the chart: 174.3:drunk::drunk:

WTF!? There is no way its that high... But I mean if you were to add 2.25 Oz of Magnum hops even at 14% AA for 90 minutes... yea thats 155.5 IBU's...

I somehow doubt that this tecnique is employed... This IIPA would have to be aged quite a long time in order to get the bitterness smoothed out but then you would loose your hop aroma from the late addition hops...

Also I looked at the Brew 365 Clone and it seems that their IBU's are a little bit more on aroudn 126 and their SRM is also closer and Gravity... So this tells me that BYO Might be a bit wrong on this one.

Any one have any insight on this one? I'm stumped.

Back