How to calibrate thermo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey I just want to make sure all my thermos are calibrated properly, it might be a little late since I have made about 10 batches with them. But better late than never right? How?

Put a glass of ice water in the freezer for a few mins, your thermometer should read 32, then boil some water, right at the beginning of the boil, it should read 212. If it doesnt, most dial thermometers can be adjusted with a nut in the back

My thermometers are reading all over the place, it looks like I need the calibration curve. thanks for the link

Yeah dammit, my thermo's prob. suck now that I look at how easy it is for them to be 20F off. This should be stressed waaaaay more than it is!

For all I know, my mashes could have been at 140 instead of 153!

I use an infrared thermometer, which is great. No sanitation issues that way. Accuracy is +/-1 degree C (2 degrees F) from throughout most of the normal range (ie, brewing range)

Back