Looking for an easy all-extract oatmeal stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7Enigma

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a day or two away from racking my first brew (pale ale), and want to brew something I would actually like (I did the pale since its easy and relatively quick but I don't really care for it). I'm looking for an all-extract oatmeal stout recipe that is relatively easy to brew, and possibly won't break the bank in the process.

As for the type of oatmeal stout I don't really know. I have enjoyed several different types, one of my favorites is from John Harvard's Brew House. Unfortunately it's been so long I can't even remember exactly what the flavor is like. But any good Oatmeal stout should suffice.

Thanks in advance,

justin

I don't know of any extracts with oatmeal in them. I don't think you can really make an oatmeal stout without doing all-grain, or at least partial mash.

Williams Brewing used to carry a dark oatmeal extract, but not any more. Can't say I've seen it anywhere else.

Assuming you don't really mean "all extract", but extract with steeped specialty grains? You can't do an oatmeal stout without oats, and I don't know of anyone who makes an oat extract.

I have zero experience with any of them, but a couple of the major online HBS have extract+grains kits (others seem to offer PM or AG only):

Austin Homebrew Supply
Midwest

Try something along these lines:

6.00 lb Dark LME
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Roasted Barley
1.00 oz Fuggles (boil full 60 minutes)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast

Steep the grains for 40 minutes or so, around 160 degrees.

I made this early last year, and it came out quite nice...decent mouthfeel, and lots of coffee overtones. I've still got a few bottles, and it just keeps getting smoother.

:mug: Bader Beer and Wine Supplies has a bunch of extract and steeping grain recipes on their site. All that I've tried have been very good.:mug:

This is what our customers say about my recipe:

AHS Oatmeal Stout Ale

Comment on Wednesday 19 March, 2008
This is an excellent beer! Everyone that's tried it loves it. It's an excellent stout with a great oatmeal flavor. It was decent after three weeks, but after six it was outstanding!
Comment on Friday 01 February, 2008
My favorite homebrew to date! I brew mini-mash and this was the 2nd recipe I tried. It is very smooth, not bitter at all, definite roasted/coffee/chocolate tones...Love it! I made this late last summer/early fall. We are making it again this weekend.
Comment on Friday 11 January, 2008
I brewed the mini mash kit.I tried it at 2 weeks and 6 days and it tasted pretty good to me(my second batch) Im gonna wait till a couple months to try the rest.The head is awesome,nice mouthful and looks like a stout I would buy a pint of.
Comment on Wednesday 27 June, 2007
Definitely a crowd pleaser. As everyone else has said, let it sit for a couple of months in the bottle and you won't be disappointed. I would reorder this kit again.
Comment on Tuesday 03 April, 2007
You have to let this one age a good 4-5 weeks or longer if you can, it makes a world of difference. I tried one bottle at 3 weeks and thought I had done something wrong, and 5 weeks it was superb! I will buy this kit again, probably a double batch even.
Comment on Thursday 22 March, 2007
Outstanding beer, very accurate for the style too! I made this one on Christmas day and it turned out to be a whopping good beer. I used the alcohol boost and it put this thing up to nearly 9%!!!! Needless to say, I dont think you really need the booster... I didnt find a single person who didnt love this one, it disappeared so quickly that I had none left over to cellar! I'll be putting this one in my regular winter rotation.
Comment on Friday 22 September, 2006
After 18 months or so of home brewing, this is by far my favorite AHS beer. This brew turns out great everytime I make it. Great body, rich flavor, wonderful head....couldn't ask for anything more.
Comment on Sunday 18 June, 2006
At a week after bottling I was a bit unimpressed by this stout. Happily I just shelved it and didn't pick it back up for about another month. By then it was excellent and only got better the longer it rested. At about 2 1/2 to 3 months after bottling it was superb! I highly recommend that you brew this one around September or October so that it is ready by winter.
Comment on Thursday 15 June, 2006
Good head, malty oatmeal flavor. It is definately stout, too strong for my wife but I like.
Comment on
Great beer. Make sure to wait three weeks before consuming... It makes a world of difference.
Comment on
Outstanding recipe. My neighbors came over and drank the keg dry in one weekend. Nice head with a very smooth lite oatmeal finish. This will be the first repeat recipe that I will brew!!! If you are a fan of oatmeal stouts, give this recipe a try.

Forrest

Thanks everyone for the replies. Somehow after the first reply I must have missed the email telling me there were more (I was getting depressed :D ). And yes, I didn't mean all-extract (whoops), I just meant no sparging and all that jazz from doing an all-grain. I have no problem with steeping grains and such.

EDIT: Wow, I gotta start ordering online. Even with the shipping its much cheaper than my LHBS. Could anyone comment on the yeast choices for this particular brew. I'm under the impression the flavor will be coming primarily from the grains/oatmeal/extract and so the yeast type doesn't matter much? The default selection is White Labs British Ale, and is much more expensive than the Danstar Windsor dry. If someone could go to this link and tell me what/if I don't need any of the default things I would be greatly appreciative (ie yeast boost fuel, yeast type).

Thanks again.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_42_159&products_id=312

EDIT #2: Oh man why did you show me this site, I'm now looking at the Double Chocolate Stout as well! Young's DCS is in my top 3 favorite beers (the other 2 being Sam Adam's Black Lager and Cream Stout). :)

With the Oatmeal Stout you could use dry or liquid yeast. Some kits are really dependent on the yeast flavor and this one is not.

The Yeast Fuel is a yeast nutrient that ensures a very healthy fermentation. It is not necessary but it really helps.

Forrest

So I pulled the trigger on the Oatmeal stout and the Double Chocolate Stout. I figure with the flat shipping, and the fact that these take so long to become their best, I might as well get both at once. 2 quick questions:

1. I didn't get ice with the order since my yeast is dry, that was an OK choice right?

2. The kits didn't mention hops? Does that mean that the extract has the hops in it, is it not listed, or do I need to add my own?

:mug:

Yes, you only need the ice pack to keep the liquid yeast cool. Dry yeast is fine without, especially this time of year.

If you ordered a kit from austinhomebrew, then everything you need (including a grain bag and the hops) are inside the kit.

So the package came yesterday with the DCS and Oatmeal. I broke the box open and the kits looks really nice. Any reason these should be kept in the fridge until ready to use? I didn't open the packs but assume there are hops inside? At my LHB store they keep the hops in the fridge, and I've heard people store them in the freezer. I don't plan on brewing the oatmeal until at least next week, and the DCS is probably going to have to wait until after the Oatmeal comes out of primary (probably a month).

Also with the recent issues regarding the Munton's yeast, I'll have to take a trip to my LHBS to pick up a package of Nottingham..

Can anyone comment on DanStar dry yeast? This came with the Oatmeal stout and I'm wondering whether I'm better off with Nottingham/Safale?

7Enigma said:
Can anyone comment on DanStar dry yeast? This came with the Oatmeal stout and I'm wondering whether I'm better off with Nottingham/Safale?
Nottingham and Windsor are both DanStar products. I think either would be fine for a stout, Nottingham will attenuate more and give you a drier result.

BlindLemonLars said:
Nottingham and Windsor are both DanStar products. I think either would be fine for a stout, Nottingham will attenuate more and give you a drier result.

Ahh...I haven't opened the package yet to see the brand (assumed it was Danstar). So I think I'll use that with the Oatmeal Stout kit (all I need now is a larger pot to prep the wort), but will go to the LHBS to get the yeast for the Double Chocolate.

7Enigma said:
So I pulled the trigger on the Oatmeal stout and the Double Chocolate Stout. I figure with the flat shipping, and the fact that these take so long to become their best, I might as well get both at once. 2 quick questions:

1. I didn't get ice with the order since my yeast is dry, that was an OK choice right?

2. The kits didn't mention hops? Does that mean that the extract has the hops in it, is it not listed, or do I need to add my own?

:mug:

These kits mature rather quickly so sample them frequently. The dry yeast will be fine without ice. The kits do mention hops and the hops are included.

Forrest

I bag about 8 to 12 ozs of oatmeal FLAKES, not rolled oats ala Quaker, and let steep along with my other grains @ 155- 170 F. for 45 mins. in 1 gal water. Pour into boil pot with whatever amount water your recipe calls for. Dip and swish bag in as well. Then add your liquid and dry extracts, hops, etc.
G.L.
Mark

Back