keezer size - between a rock and a hard place.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techbrewie

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I'm building myself a keezer. After a year of bottling beer, enough is enough dangit. Now when it comes to DIY projects I am strictly a go big or go home type of guy. It's going to be a coffin style keezer /w a 4 tap system to start and a nice home made cabinet shell, whos design is still in progress. Im definitely drawing inspiration from other keezer builds on the forums here.

So i had too many home brews the other night and pulled the trigger on all of the draught equipment one would need to build a 4 tap system, including a dual pressure regulator for when I inevitably start brewing stouts. All in all about an $800 investment.

Now I need to buy a freezer and I just cant decide what size I want. Price isn't a huge issue but I'm looking to get something quiet that will last me a good long time. My biggest hurdle though is size. Do i go with the 13 cu/ft that fits six taps snugly /w 1-2 Co2 cylinders? or do i go with a 14.8 that will allow me to eventually run a 6 tap system (4 ale - 2 lager/stout) + 2 spots for conditioning my annual hard cider/graff experiments. OR do i just go with a an 8.8 cu/ft because 20 gallons of beer on tap at any one time is more than enough for a single guy in a 720 sq ft apt. I'm leaning towards the 14.8 because if Im putting all this work and money into it, it should be capable of expanding to any needs i might have. what are your two cents?

fyi. brand new to the forums, long time lurker. I love this place!

p.s. if anyone is interested in the draught system I put together I can link you the google doc that lists all of the components as well as links to all the product pages + prices per unit and extended prices before/after shipping. a lot of research and price shopping went into it, and i'm pretty happy with it so far.

My vote will almost always be in favor of scalability, so the 15 cu. ft. freezer is the way to go IMO. That's the way I went recently.

techbrewie said:
Hey all,
So I'm building myself a keezer. After a year of bottling beer, enough is enough dangit. Now when it comes to DIY projects I am strictly a go big or go home type of guy. It's going to be a coffin style keezer /w a 4 tap system to start and a nice home made cabinet shell, whos design is still in progress. Im definitely drawing inspiration from other keezer builds on the forums here.

So i had too many home brews the other night and pulled the trigger on all of the draught equipment one would need to build a 4 tap system, including a dual pressure regulator for when I inevitably start brewing stouts. All in all about an $800 investment.

Now I need to buy a freezer and I just cant decide what size I want. Price isn't a huge issue but I'm looking to get something quiet that will last me a good long time. My biggest hurdle though is size. Do i go with the 13 cu/ft that fits six taps snugly /w 1-2 Co2 cylinders? or do i go with a 14.8 that will allow me to eventually run a 6 tap system (4 ale - 2 lager/stout) + 2 spots for conditioning my annual hard cider/graff experiments. OR do i just go with a an 8.8 cu/ft because 20 gallons of beer on tap at any one time is more than enough for a single guy in a 720 sq ft apt. I'm leaning towards the 14.8 because if Im putting all this work and money into it, it should be capable of expanding to any needs i might have. what are your two cents?

fyi. brand new to the forums, long time lurker. I love this place!

IMO, go big or go home is the way to go indeed. I built my keezer out of a 25 cu. ft. upright freezer. The thing is 6 feet tall, but damnit, it fits 7 corny kegs and a 10 lb CO2 tank, which is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

I am definitely curious to see all the progress you make as well as where you got your parts and for how much etc, that would be great as I'm always curious to see various builds. I am looking to purchase a freezer myself and eventually do a Keezer build. I'm subscribed and best of luck with your build.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going with the Kenmore 14.8 cu/ft Chest freezer. It was just $360 for the sears friends and family sale, but i decided to hold out and see if there would be a black friday sale, and it looks like I'm going to get shafted at $400 even unless there's a sale I missed. I'm buying new/kenmore because a lot of work and money is going in to this thing and it better last forever =-).

On a side note, I'm Starting off with a 4 tap system (because i dont have any stouts/porters on deck at the moment) and will build it to easily expand to 6 taps (4 ale/lager, 2 stout taps), I feel 30 gallons of beer should be sufficient for a single guy living in a 740 sq ft apt. :-D its about variety right?

I'm hoping to have it done in the spring, when its a little warmer for wood working, staining and gluing. I also have to get my Arduino programmed. I have some awesome ideas for using the Arduino to measure keg volume via weight sensors, do active temp control, led accent lighting control, and displaying that info as well as whats on tap on a 4.3 inch touch lcd build into the keezer. My brother is a gifted software and firmware engineer, and I'm contracting him for beer to help me out with the code.

Again, pm me for the link to my draught system list. It's a google doc spreadsheet. I'm happy to share the fruits of my research. I'll post photos and a video of the build once it's complete, and may put together specs, a parts list, the Arduino code, and instructions for the entire build for a small fee (solely because it would take a lot of extra time and effort in documentation and writing to produce something of quality) if there is any interest.

Back