roasted sweet red pepper beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so i picked up red peppers at the farmers market today that I'm roasting and canning, but I've got like 25 extras and tomorrow is brew day. anybody ever heard of red bell peppers in beer?
maybe rye beer? porter? even something lighter and try to emphasize the sweetness of the peppers? thoughts?

A brewery by me does a pepper beer. Not sure what type they use, but its tasty. I would say make a simple blonde ale and add the roasted peppers to your secondary. Let it sit for a week and sample it

I second the blonde ale. Anything big the delicate red pepper flavor would be lost. IMO of course, have not done it myself. :eek:

It doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I think you'd likely lose the red pepper essence, and just end up with the roasted smoky/bitterness.

Not to say you should not try. I don't think I'd do it with a 5 gallon batch though, can you try it on a smaller part of a split batch?

Yeah, make a 5 gal batch of a Blonde or a Pale Ale, then bottle/keg half after primary, rack the second half onto the peppers soaked in vodka to sanitize. I wouldn't have any idea how many to use though?

I made a cilantro-lime Pale Ale that turned out really good. Go for it!

For quantity, I'd suggest going overboard on it: use more than you think you need. When you rack off, taste and decide whether to dilute with some of the non-peppered part of the batch.

Back