Yeast Cake Viability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLogic

Reaction score
I have a 1.060 OG (down to 1.006!) saison with 3711 that is about ready to be kegged. It spent two weeks in the primary, starting at 68F and ramping up to 80F, then I cold crashed to 35 (still in the primary) and it's been lagering at that temp for the last two or three weeks.

I'm thinking about using the yeast cake for a 1.085 OG tripel. My question is, after spending a few weeks at near freezing, how viable is the cake going to be? Did I stress the yeast too much to risk using it for another beer? Usually I rack to a secondary before I cold crash if I'm going to reuse the cake, but I didn't have any carboys available this time around.

You can always do a quick force ferment to see if it's viable.

Sanitize a spoon or something that can scoop up a bit of yeast cake. Pitch it into a small starter, but be sure to super overpitch. Those suckers start up fast... fast enough that you shouldn't be concerned keeping the yeast cake in the sealed primary after you've racked the beer off.

If it takes off then go for it.

Back