I harvested yeast... I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
So I racked my Belgian Wit to secondary today and am planning on brewing a honey wheat tomorrow, a kit that came with a no-name white packet of yeast. So I figured, on a whim, that I'd save some of my tastey whit yeast to use for tomorrow. I stuck my siphon into the cake and pumped up some of the sludge into 3 ~8oz containers that are used for making yogurt, covered em with plastic wrap, put on the lid, and threw them in the refridgerator.

Did I do it right? Will I be able to use this yeast tomorrow? I won't be heart broken if not, it was sort of a last minute idea.

I to would like some more info on how to save and reuse the yeast. I have a wheat going right now and it's going strong. I would like to use it again for another wheat in about a month.

pfranco81 said:
Did I do it right? Will I be able to use this yeast tomorrow? I won't be heart broken if not, it was sort of a last minute idea.

It should be fine for tomorrow. Chances are that you harvested a lot more yeast than you would need for another batch. You might consider taking that third container and moving it into a beer bottle, topping off with sterilized water and capping it for longer term storage.

If you can get yourself a couple 2Qt, plastic apple juice containers, they are great for gathering and washing yeast.

Pour your yeast slurry into the plastic container and fill to about 2/3rds full with sterilized (cooled) water.

Give it a shake and then let settle for 10 minutes.

Pour off that solution into the other cleaned plastic bottle...leaving behind the last 1/4 inch or so. This may be more, it may be less, depending on how much junk you have.

Let the second plastic jug settle for 10-15 minutes and then pour back into the first container (that you've cleaned), again, leaving behind any sediment that has fallen out.

Cap it with an airlock attached to the lid (drill a hole) and set in the fride. In a couple days, your yeast will settle completely and you can then divide it up and move it to bottles.

YeastHarvesting.JPG

The one in the middle I just harvested.
The one on the left is about 24 hours old (not refrigerated)
The one on the right I just pulled out of the fridge after about 3-4 days. You can see how the yeast has compacted.

PS - They are different beers so don't read too much into the different colors.

newguy said:
Muncher what is "long term storage" time wise? how long are we talking about?
I figure I'll use the yeast within a few months and propogate more from those batches.

I haven't stored yeast for "years" or anything like that. Probably the oldest yeast I pulled out of the fridge was 4 1/2 months and it was perfect.

Latest posts

Back