BeerSmith 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I think that this version is a much needed improvement to 1.4 Anyways, I am trying to figure out how to add in sugar content to the overall fermentation profile of a recipe. That is, when you have sugar in a recipe, I want it to reflect in the gravity of the fermentation profile. Do I just need to add in the points seperatly or is there a way to have it the program add it automagicaly?

I don't see this as a possibility if I am reading your post correctly - you want to add sugar during fermentation like for a DFH 120 minute high ABV beer right?

If you add simple sugar to the recipe it will add gravity points, as it should. Your FG is associated with attenuation which is figured out from your yeast choice (this is editable.) It is affected by the sugar you add but this is not reflected in the estimated FG so far as I know.

Unless I am completely misreading your post in which case ignore my ramblings!

I don't see this as a possibility if I am reading your post correctly - you want to add sugar during fermentation like for a DFH 120 minute high ABV beer right?

If you add simple sugar to the recipe it will add gravity points, as it should. Your FG is associated with attenuation which is figured out from your yeast choice (this is editable.) It is affected by the sugar you add but this is not reflected in the estimated FG so far as I know.

Unless I am completely misreading your post in which case ignore my ramblings!

I was looking at the into the boiler perameters and realized that it is only going to give me the gravity points for the grain and not the sugar which the into the fermenter perameters is where it seems the extra gravity points from the sugar is added in. Am I right?

I'm not liking it so far.
1. The window for ingredients is way too small for the font. I got all this extra space to the right and can't strech it out!
2. My pet peeve for the previous version was it didn't sequence the hops in order of time. Same thing for Ver 2! I got 20min listed 1st, then 60min, then mash hop!!! How hard is it to line these up...

As good as 1.4 was, I thought Brad would hit a home run with this version and become the uncontested defacto software for homebrewing. I don't think that happened.

While the tools are almost all there, the user interface is maddening. I think this version is fairly inaccessible to anyone who didn't use the previous version. I'd be reluctant to refer it to new brewers.

There are lots of subtle changes that I like.
  1. Adding a pic of your beer,
  2. adding ingredients by percentage,
  3. various graphs that I'll probably grow to appreciate,
  4. boil-off rate bug fixed,
  5. FG changes with mash profile (!),
  6. selectable fields in the recipe tab,
  7. easy printouts with drop-down list of formats,
  8. version number on recipe

I've got it figured out (I think), and I'm gonna grit my teeth and continue using it. But I sorta hope that a 2.1 is in the works already.

As good as 1.4 was, I thought Brad would hit a home run with this version and become the uncontested defacto software for homebrewing. I don't think that happened.

While the tools are almost all there, the user interface is maddening. I think this version is fairly inaccessible to anyone who didn't use the previous version. I'd be reluctant to refer it to new brewers.

There are lots of subtle changes that I like.
  1. Adding a pic of your beer,
  2. adding ingredients by percentage,
  3. various graphs that I'll probably grow to appreciate,
  4. boil-off rate bug fixed,
  5. FG changes with mash profile (!),
  6. selectable fields in the recipe tab,
  7. easy printouts with drop-down list of formats,
  8. version number on recipe

I've got it figured out (I think), and I'm gonna grit my teeth and continue using it. But I sorta hope that a 2.1 is in the works already.

I like # 6. That's it. Oh and the Mac port. But I am not deleting my windows partition, much as I'd like to, because there are a ton of irritations: no immediate updating of the beersheet when the recipe is changed, no ability to select multiple ingredients, not way to "save as", the removal of "duplicate," ugly changes to the calendar, undo does not work etc. etc. This is a work in progress and I suspect V 2.5 might be what I need to wait for.

I was looking at the into the boiler perameters and realized that it is only going to give me the gravity points for the grain and not the sugar which the into the fermenter perameters is where it seems the extra gravity points from the sugar is added in. Am I right?

Sorry man but I can't make out anything you just wrote. Seriously.

Not sure I understand the question but I think you are getting close to what you are asking. So I would say yes..

Aaargh. I added a few fields in the recipe page, now the Select Fields button has slipped below the bottom of the screen. Scroll bar (on right) won't scroll low enough to get to the button.

I dragged the program to a monitor I have that is vertical / portrait, and the button is still missing.

bug1.png

@passedpawn. Same thing happened to me. Went on site and downloaded beta38 and beersmith locked up. Had to uninstall, reboot and reinstall orig version.

Wow, I was just considering going over there to see if there were updates. Guess I'll sit on my hands for a week or two and let the dust settle before I do that.

BTW, I was able to click that little sliver of a button there (and remove one of the fields). If I had added one more field, I'd have been out of luck.

Thanks a bunch!

I've pretty much decided that the starter tools are useless. Its impossible to understand and is only available in quarts. I know the size starter I need to use and can always use Mr malty. This is one area that they really messed up with the new version.

Little gripe...after making changes to the recipe, the brew steps aren't reflecting the changes until the recipe is closed and reopened. Per the Beersmith forums however, its a high priority bug and is on the list for an update. Was glad to see that.

Anyone know why the boil volume isn't changing when I bump the recipe up to a 90 minute boil?

_

should boil time have an impact on SRM as well?

I noticed that changing from 60min to 120min doesn't impact color at all in 2.0, never tried it in 1.4

Is it just me, or is this release very buggy for a full-blown revision? Not enough beta testing? I think I'm sticking with 1.4 until all the kinks are worked out.

Is it just me, or is this release very buggy for a full-blown revision? Not enough beta testing? I think I'm sticking with 1.4 until all the kinks are worked out.

Go check out their forum page, loaded with bugs, this sucks.

_

wildwest450 said:

_

Meh, it's been extremely usable for me regardless. The boil-off was always inaccurate anyways, even in 1.4, because it shouldn't be based on a percentage per hour, but rather a fixed volume per hour... it definitely doesn't take me the same time to boil 8gal down to 6gal as it does to boil 1gal down to 3 quarts...

_

Yes it does. Hopefully it will get fixed. Beersmith 2.0 SP1? All of these seem to be user interface problems. Makes one wonder about the underlying formulas.

In the "Brew Log" view, I accidentally closed the preview window at the bottom half of screen. Anyone know how to get that back? Mainly, I need it because there is a bar on it that lets me export reports (i.e., Brewsheet). That is all gone now.

I had to go back to Version 1.4 to print the report. Sorta nice, that old version. I'm seriously considering going back to it, although I paid for 2.0.

In the "Brew Log" view, I accidentally closed the preview window at the bottom half of screen. Anyone know how to get that back? Mainly, I need it because there is a bar on it that lets me export reports (i.e., Brewsheet). That is all gone now.

I had to go back to Version 1.4 to print the report. Sorta nice, that old version. I'm seriously considering going back to it, although I paid for 2.0.

Untitled.jpg

I'm pretty bummed that the option to search recipes by available inventory is gone. However, Brad did say that he will likely add it back during an update. I guess I'll have to use v1.4 if I want to try new stuff with what I already have.

Meh, it's been extremely usable for me regardless.

Well meh, I have a 90 minute boil to do and it's giving me the same preboil as for a 60 minute. I had my old version dialed in perfectly for boiloff amounts, so I could give a flip about the whole percentage nonsense, it worked for me.

_

Yes it does. Hopefully it will get fixed. Beersmith 2.0 SP1? All of these seem to be user interface problems. Makes one wonder about the underlying formulas.

I have only just last night DL'd and Installed v2.0. I was LOST!

Went ahead an re-installed v1.4 too for a comparison between the two apps "results". I'll assume that v1.4 is still trustworthy (in that I learned how to workaround it's limitations) and will compare the results between recipes as best as is possible.

I'll be the first one to say "Don't Uninstall 1.4 to run 2.0"!! You don't need to uninstall it to run the new version, and it gives you peace of mind to be able to flip back to the older version to double-check things or even to run them in parallel until you are comfortable with the new interface.

While I do like the newer version, there are some issues that still need to be worked out & it does take quite a bit of getting used to to move around in the new UI.

I'll be the first one to say "Don't Uninstall 1.4 to run 2.0"!! You don't need to uninstall it to run the new version, and it gives you peace of mind to be able to flip back to the older version to double-check things or even to run them in parallel until you are comfortable with the new interface.

While I do like the newer version, there are some issues that still need to be worked out & it does take quite a bit of getting used to to move around in the new UI.

The re-install came necessitated by a clean install of a new OS.

Well meh, I have a 90 minute boil to do and it's giving me the same preboil as for a 60 minute. I had my old version dialed in perfectly for boiloff amounts, so I could give a flip about the whole percentage nonsense, it worked for me.

_

Annoying bug, but easy to fix. Just re-enter your boil-off rate or percentage after changing the boil duration.

wildwest450 said:

_

Fair enough, wasn't trying to be dismissive of your complaint, and I apologize if that's how you felt. If anything, it's my biggest peeve so far... not only because it's buggy, but because even if it wasn't, it's obvious Brad intends to use the same, extremely flawed method.

I like it a lot. I love how water volumes are in the recipes now.

I cannot find reports, or brew day sheets though.

Go to recipes. If you don't see the reports on the bottom of your screen after you select a recipe (single-click), click on the icon that rack04 highlighted in his post. One of the report options is the brew day sheet. It can also be found by clicking on the Brew Steps icon on the right of the ribbon bar (home tab).

Latest posts

Back