Alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckwatson

Reaction score
I have some questions about figuring out my alcohol content. When I use my specific gravity and do the math (OG-FGx105) gives me a ABV of 3.57 when I use the alcohol scale from my hygrometer it gives me a reading of 4.5 (6.5%-2%) Is this normal?

The alcohol potential scale on your hyDrometer is probably less precise than the specific gravity scale, so using a formula to calculate ABV from specific gravity is likely the best way to get good results.

The formula you're using is for approximating alcohol by weight (ABW). The ones posted above are correct for alcohol by volume (ABV).

I think that OG-FGx105 was stated in Papazian's book... I tried it and soon found it to be wrong. I wound up playing with the numbers and comparing them to Beersmith's figures until I settled on 130, but I'm sure 131 is right there...

Both are correct.

x 105 will give you the percentage of alcohol by weight in the beer.

x 131 will give you the percentage of alcohol by volume in the beer.

Time to change. Check out a few web sites for calculators and you will see which is correct.

Change in gravity x 131 isn't correct either. It is a linear approximation.

In order to accurately calculate alcohol you need to measure it directly using lab methods or know the real terminal extract, which also requires lab methods.

So then is gravity changex131 and accurate way to estimate abv? cause i was told it was OG-FGx.129 and my buddy was told yet another formula

It's kinda like converting brix to gravity.

99.9% of people will say brix x 4 = gravity, but the actual formula is:

{Plato/(258.6-([Plato/258.2]*227.1)}+1 = Specific gravity

But for the general homebrewing community OG-FG x 131 is acceptable...

It's kinda like converting brix to gravity.

99.9% of people will say brix x 4 = gravity, but the actual formula is:

{Plato/(258.6-([Plato/258.2]*227.1)}+1 = Specific gravity

But for the general homebrewing community OG-FG x 131 is acceptable...

Yes, I agree. It's not 100% accurate, but for most of our purposes, (OG-FG)X 131= ABV is a darn good approximate.

Yes, I agree. It's not 100% accurate, but for most of our purposes, (OG-FG)X 131= ABV is a darn good approximate.

So,why exactly is OG-FGx 131 more accurate than OG-FG/7.46 + .5? The first one gives a lot lower estimation than the 2nd. For example,my #'s plugged into both;1.044-1.012=.032x131=4.192%ABV...1044-1012=32/7.46=4.2895 +.5=4.7895.? In the 2nd one,you have to take out the decimal points to get the right calculation. In the 1st one,the higher multiplier tries to compensate for this. The 2nd one adds .5 for the effects of the priming sugar. So,the 1st one gives me 4.2%ABV,the second gives 4.8%ABV. The higher number "feels" closer to the truth. How do y'all really know which is correct?

So,why exactly is OG-FGx 131 more accurate than OG-FG/7.46 + .5? The first one gives a lot lower estimation than the 2nd. For example,my #'s plugged into both;1.044-1.012=.032x131=4.192%ABV...1044-1012=32/7.46=4.2895 +.5=4.7895.? In the 2nd one,you have to take out the decimal points to get the right calculation. In the 1st one,the higher multiplier tries to compensate for this. The 2nd one adds .5 for the effects of the priming sugar. So,the 1st one gives me 4.2%ABV,the second gives 4.8%ABV. The higher number "feels closer to the truth. How do y'all really know which is correct?

I don't use priming sugar, for one thing!

Ah,I see. I'd just really like a scientifically correct,yet simple answer to why the 1st one I listed is said to better than the Cooper's one? It gives a low reading. A lot lower than the 2nd one I listed. I think it may be because everyone uses it,& it's in a book,it's just got to be better.?...:mad::confused::drunk:

Your are correct, we didn't account for the additional gravity from the sugar, but that would be less than 0.5% abv. Depending on how much priming sugar you add, you will add somewhere between .002 to .003 to the gravity (equivalent to .25 to .4%abv), but....... you are also adding additional water which will dilute that increase some. ........ Correct; it does slightly increase the final alcohol.

Where does the 131 come from?

Alcohol by weight = gravity difference x 105

Alcohol by volume = abw x 1.25

I'm sure both of those calculations have some rounding to them. The 131 comes from the product of 105 X 1.25.

For most of us, multiplying by 131 is simple and easy to remember, and is close enough.

ABV=76.08*(OG-FG)/(1.775-OG)*(FG/0.794

From Real Beer.Com
Sometimes you can figure it out on your own, most often at a brewpub where starting and finishing gravity may be posted -- or at least you can ask about them. Here is a basic formula:

Alcohol percentage by weight equals 76.08 times Original Gravity minus Final Gravity divided by 1.775 minus Original Gravity. It is easier to scribble this down: ABW = 76.08(OG-FG)/(1.775-OG).

You should remember that ABW is used mostly in the United States, while the rest of the beer world (as well as the wine and spirits world) measures Alcohol by Volume (ABV). That conversion is easy: ABV = ABW (FG/.794).

You can't do this unless the Original (Starting) Gravity is provided. You may calculate Final Gravity on your own if you have a hydrometer (available in any homebrew store). Just warm the beer to about 60F and pour it back and forth several times to cut down the carbonation. Then use the hydrometer to get a FG reading.

Not only will you be able to figure out the alcohol content, but this is a great conversation starter in brewpubs.

Figuring ABV by this method shows it a little higher than the difference in gravities * 131.

Your are correct, we didn't account for the additional gravity from the sugar, but that would be less than 0.5% abv. Depending on how much priming sugar you add, you will add somewhere between .002 to .003 to the gravity (equivalent to .25 to .4%abv), but....... you are also adding additional water which will dilute that increase some. ........ Correct; it does slightly increase the final alcohol.

Where does the 131 come from?

Alcohol by weight = gravity difference x 105

Alcohol by volume = abw x 1.25

I'm sure both of those calculations have some rounding to them. The 131 comes from the product of 105 X 1.25.

For most of us, multiplying by 131 is simple and easy to remember, and is close enough.

Well...maybe the .5 comes from using the Cooper's carb drops? They look/are the size of oval shaped throat lozenges. So no water is involved with these. Maybe it is a measure of maximum effect (.5)? Because they do carbonate beer really well when used in proper proportion.

Back