Carboy/Corny/Keggle Cleaning Made Easy (long & photo intense)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Edit: 3/30/13 - Go to post #31 for the newest version.

I really HATE the cleaning aspect of brewing. Specifically carboys & kegs. All other aspects I love, but the one thing I always put off until necessary is cleaning my carboys & cornies. So I decided to make this an easier process that didn't require fumbling around with wet carboys/kegs full of water and making a mess.

I got the idea from another post on here using a sump pump and a bucket, so I can't take credit for the idea. I just decided to take it up a notch and make it a permanent piece of equipment in my brewery, and usable on carboys, cornies, and keggles/pots/etc.

I have access to beat up dishwashers that are still perfectly functional, and had been thinking of converting one to use for this purpose. The problem is they are just too small inside. So I decided to rob the parts and build something that did the same thing. I had a laundry sink that I have been meaning to install in our laundry room for several years but never got around to, so it made a perfect candidate for this.

Before hacking into the sink, I decided to make a prototype from OSB and a rubbermaid storage container. This material is easy to work with and cheap to replace if I screwed it up, so I did that first. Here is what I made.

prototype-1.JPG

prototype4.JPG

prototype3.JPG

The last pic with the bolt plugging the hose is where it would tee off into ball lock connectors so it can be connected to a corny and wash the dip tubes as well. There was also a tee tee to allow me to drain the tub with the pump, but the plan changed and that was eliminated.

Once this was assembled, I put it to the test. Here is a before and after shot after only 30 seconds.

autowash-before.JPG

autowash-after.JPG

I considered this a success, so I grabbed the sink to move the parts over.

The sink:
laundry-sink.JPG

The final product. I was lacking the liquid connector to finish the install for connecting to cornies but have the gas side connected.

auto-wash.JPG

autowash-plumbing2.JPG

autowash-carboy2.JPG

Very very cool. The one minor criticism is to figure out a more secure way to hold a carboy upside down. Maybe an inverted 2 gallon bucket with a large hole cut in the bottom to hold the carboy at the taper? How about some kind of insert that jams against the walls of the sink and the carboy? Styrofoam?

Have you noticed any sewer gas smells? I was looking at the way the feedback loop rushes past the drain P-trap and thought it might pull a vacuum on it due to venturi action. How do you stop all the water from going down the drain during the cleaning cycle. Maybe I just don't know how the pump works 100%.

I'm trying to figure out if my wife would kill me for messing with the laundry sink.

I have a 8" PVC coupling that I had originally used for a hop bag, I use it to turn my carboys upside down for drying. Could use that I guess to help steady the carboys?

Thanks for the compliments everyone. :mug:

Very very cool. The one minor criticism is to figure out a more secure way to hold a carboy upside down. Maybe an inverted 2 gallon bucket with a large hole cut in the bottom to hold the carboy at the taper? How about some kind of insert that jams against the walls of the sink and the carboy? Styrofoam?

Have you noticed any sewer gas smells? I was looking at the way the feedback loop rushes past the drain P-trap and thought it might pull a vacuum on it due to venturi action. How do you stop all the water from going down the drain during the cleaning cycle. Maybe I just don't know how the pump works 100%.

I'm trying to figure out if my wife would kill me for messing with the laundry sink.

Bobby, the carboy is actually more stable than it looks. It's hard to tell in the pics, but the sink is deep enough that if it did tip over it can't fall out of the sink. I was thinking I would need to build something to hold it better, but it actually balances itself very well. The bunji cord was just for added insurance.

Regarding the plumbing setup, I put a 1.5" pvc ball valve after the p-trap on the outside of the sink so I would have easy access to it. I close it, fill the sink with 2 gallons of water, then have at it. When I'm done, I just open the valve and the sink drains. Since it's after the p-trap, it wouldn't be able to siphon the water out of it. Of course you could always plumb this in before the p-trap if you wanted to.

I will probably eliminate the p-trap as well as all of the slip joint fittings and just hard pipe it. I used these fittings so it would be easy to work on if I ever needed to, but the slip joint fittings are just not very solid. Also, there really is no need for the p-trap since I don't have it connected to the house plumbing yet, and if I do it will drain into the laundry drain line which has a p-trap in the drain line itself. I just used it for easy alignment to the side where I wanted it to drain.

When I built it I was planning to hook it up in our laundry room since I had stubbed in for the sink when I remodeled the basement, but never got around to doing the finish plumbing work. At this point though, I am thinking I'll just keep it freestanding in the garage near my brewing equipment and run a couple pex lines out there for water supply, then drain it out the garage door. My thinking here is that don't want the sink to get used for things like washing paint brushes and such, then getting used on my brewing equipment.

Here's a link little video I made. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OqY0Is_iT6k
It makes it easier to see how stable the carboy is and the current plumbing setup. The hose that is hanging in the sink when I switch the pump to reverse is where the other ball lock fitting will be connected once I get it.

I'm trying to figure out if SWMBO would kill me for messing with the dishwasher.....:cross:

Great build. I really like the idea.

Question:
when the pump is switched to reverse, that line shown in the video spouting water is what would have been the drain line in the original dishwasher?

I seriously had not seen this thread, but I made a cleaning station out of a Orange bucket and some copper last night during that football game. Took about 1 hour in total and it works like a beast with my little giant 5.5-series pump.

Will post some pics and the videos I took tonight if interested. Works on Sankes, cornies, and carboys and literally took an hour for me to build.

What, no heated drying cycle?

So... how much could you sell one of these freestanding units for? Just the plastic sink looks to be $150+ on Lowes...I guess a junkyard would probably have a cracked one that could be repaired. Did the pump come out of the dishwasher parts or was that separate? What are the other main expenses besides the sink/dishwasher 'guts' and the pump?

I am 500% more likely to build one of these than any type of brewing 'upgrade.' Awesome.

What, no heated drying cycle?

Lol, that would be nice! I did consider using the heating element from from the dishwasher to keep the water hot while it recirculated, but I thought it would get in the way too much.

So... how much could you sell one of these freestanding units for? Just the plastic sink looks to be $150+ on Lowes...I guess a junkyard would probably have a cracked one that could be repaired. Did the pump come out of the dishwasher parts or was that separate? What are the other main expenses besides the sink/dishwasher 'guts' and the pump?

I have no idea if or what it would sell for. The sink I used can be bought for about $50 at home depot. Laundry Sink

The pump and motor is all from the dishwasher. Other than the sink and the pump/motor, there was some vinyl tubing, clamps, ball lock connectors, pvc fittings and some minor electrical stuff. Roughly about $50 worth of parts. The faucet was a used but still working one from remodel I did.

I am 500% more likely to build one of these than any type of brewing 'upgrade.' Awesome.

Thanks!

Just when ya thought ya seen everything............Ya DIDN'T LOL

KC, That sink/washer, is sooo friggin AWESOME and on wheels.....Love it.

Maybe some day, I would attempt this build, cause, just like you....I don't favor cleaning all of the items we all have to. Would it be a real PIA to add the heater?

Love the setup. I have a perfect sink and an old whirlpool pump that can be used. I should be able to do this on the cheap.

I spent some time wandering through the plumbing aisle at Lowe's yesterday with pictures of your setup in hand. I can't figure out what type of fittings you are using at the base of the sink. What is keeping the seal that you are also able to connect the piping to below to and screw in your drilled PVC? Can you provide some more info on parts and fittings for those wanting to shamelessly copy you?

mcgeebc, I used the seal from the dishwasher pump and the large plastic mouting nut for it on the top. I cut a hole the size of the one on the dishwasher, fit the seal on it, then mounted the pump to the sink the same way it mounts on a dishwasher.

From there, I used a 2" to 1" reducing bushing IIRC, which fit perfectly inside the mounting nut for the pump, and glued it to the nut. Then a 1" threaded adapter glued inside that bushing allows for a swappable spray nozzle so you can try different patterns and such. I have a couple different ones I use for carboys or kegs.

Hope this helps.

Great post / thread! I work for Electrolux and can get my hands on a D/W in many states of repair. Most tubs for a D/W are poly plastic- easy to cut and modify. Did anyone actually consider cutting the top section off a D/W, replacing the door with a sheet of plexi or something and going from there. It would already have the heating element installed, plus the pump and plumbing. You would just have to relocate the control panel from the door assembly. You could even choose your wash program- turn on and walk away. Just thinking out loud……

I was going through old subscribed threads and felt like this deserved a bump so more people can check it out. Awesome idea.

Wow. What an excellent build! Gotta put it on my project list.

Could you put another valve after the Ptrap to collect sanitizer? Then you could rinse, clean with pbw, rinse, then sanitize all on one station.

I might have to canabalize my bucket mounted cleaner and use its pump, but then old dishwashers are cheap at yard sales and thrift stores

NewBrewB said:
I was going through old subscribed threads and felt like this deserved a bump so more people can check it out. Awesome idea.

Rightfully so, this is bad ass

Subbed... Now to just get the fiance to let me rip apart the basement sink.

Subbed... Now to just get the fiance to let me rip apart the basement sink.

You: "Honey, I was thinking maybe we should replace that dirty old plastic laundry sink downstairs with a nice stainless one. Home Depot is having a sale this weekend."

Her: "That's a good idea, Sweetie, plus it'll be a nice little upgrade to our house and add value. But what should we do with the old plastic sink?"

You: "Recycle it, I guess. Although maybe I could use it somehow to clean some of my brewing gear. I'll look around online and see if anyone has any suggestions, if not we can always just recycle it. So, Home Depot this Saturday?"

Great post / thread! I work for Electrolux and can get my hands on a D/W in many states of repair. Most tubs for a D/W are poly plastic- easy to cut and modify. Did anyone actually consider cutting the top section off a D/W, replacing the door with a sheet of plexi or something and going from there. It would already have the heating element installed, plus the pump and plumbing. You would just have to relocate the control panel from the door assembly. You could even choose your wash program- turn on and walk away. Just thinking out loud……

Since I am not as "mechincal" (hell I can't even speel the word) Why not just cut the top off and permanently seal the door in place…. Then you don’t have to relocate the controls?

You: "Honey, I was thinking maybe we should replace that dirty old plastic laundry sink downstairs with a nice stainless one. Home Depot is having a sale this weekend."

Her: "That's a good idea, Sweetie, plus it'll be a nice little upgrade to our house and add value. But what should we do with the old plastic sink?"

You: "Recycle it, I guess. Although maybe I could use it somehow to clean some of my brewing gear. I'll look around online and see if anyone has any suggestions, if not we can always just recycle it. So, Home Depot this Saturday?"

Standard conversation. She usually just rolls her eyes once I mention brewing and zones out. Makes things easy. haha

:mug:
Since I am not as "mechincal" (hell I can't even speel the word) Why not just cut the top off and permanently seal the door in place…. Then you don’t have to relocate the controls?

Rightfully so, this is bad ass

i 1ST SEEN THIS THREAD MORE THAN A YEAR AND A HALF AGO, and from looking and reading it, KC seemed to be a real Smart Man with Great Ideas and a thinker! And very LAZY to boot. Ilike all of the above!
I decided to Mod a Matag dishwasher and leave it intact with door, heat element. And full up frony controls.

Im going to statr My own Thread called Moding a DishWasher to clean Kegs Keggles Buckets Carboys!!:mug:

Glad to see people are still making use of this thread. I just noticed that it had been revived and thought I'd update it with the latest model. I've been slowly working on upgrading my entire brewery to more commercial grade equipment over the past 8-9 months and a new sink was part of it.

The new sink is not actually a sink. It is a 36" ice bin most bars would use for filling with beer and ice. I went with this because it was what would fit the space I had for it and it was wide enough for cornies to lay inside. The difference is it only has a 1" drain and the sides/bottom are double wall with insulation. This made mounting the motor a bit more of a chore than a regular sink, but it worked. And the insulated walls and bottom are nice because it deadens the sound.

After carefully measuring, marking, remeasuring, and measuring again, a 3-5/8" hole saw makes the exact size hole necessary for the gasket. Different dishwashers may have different sizes, but for the whirlpool motor I used, this is the size you need. If this were a standard single wall sink, the motor is ready to mount. Since this is double wall, I had to cut a larger hole in the bottom for the motor to fit.

Hole cut inside sink-

sink0.jpg

Hole marked in bottom-

sink1.jpg

Motor mounted-

sink2.jpg

Doing some test fittings. This takes some playing around with different fittings, and you'll notice in the final setup I turned the Tee 90°. A 2" pvc coupling fits inside the rubber boot from the pump. I cut it in half with a miter saw to make it work in the tight space, then used a bushing to reduce it to the size I needed.

sink3.jpg

When mounting the start relay, make sure you have it in the correct position. The first spot I mounted it I had it turned 90° and it would not work. The orientation must be right for it to function correctly.

sink4.jpg

The final plumbing. A much cleaner and simpler design than my first setup. Close the valve on the drain, fill the sink with water and you're ready to go. Open it to drain the sink when you're done.

You'll notice for the drain port I have it capped. Another change from the first sink. Instead of running a hose dedicated to the cornie connectors I plan to hook a sprayer up to this so I can recirculate the cleaning solution for washing the outside of kegs/carboys.

For connecting to cornies I will be making a manifold that screws onto the dishwasher sprayer in the sink and has corny connectors. More to come on that when I have it done.

sink5.jpg

sink6.jpg

For the wiring I used a double pole double throw switch instead of the 2 switch setup on the first sink. Flip it up it sprays into the kegs/carboys, flip it down and it will spray out of the drain tube that will be connected to an external sprayer.

sink7.jpg

For making the sprayer inside the sink, a 2" pvc bushing fits snugly inside the factory nut from the dishwasher. A 2" glue to 3/4" threaded bushing and you're ready to start making whatever sprayers you like. It fits so snug I diddn't glue it in place so I can change it later if needed. Some 3/4" pvc, a cap and a drill and you can make any spray head you like.

sink8.jpg

sink9.jpg

A check with a 15 gallon demijohn. You'll want to make a spacer (like the demijohn is sitting on here) and drill some holes in it to help carboys drain easier while washing.

sink10.jpg

And a few final pics. Just need to connect a sprayer to the drain from the pump and make the manifold for connecting to kegs.

sink11.jpg

sink12.jpg

sink13.jpg

Latest posts

Back