First DIPA Recipe - How does it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
I know these things always bring in allot of conflicting opinions and suggestions, but I like that! Also, I'm still trying to better my understanding of putting recipes together, what works well etc. Sure, the only way to find out is keep brewing and learning, but it's also interesting for me to hear what you folk have to say. This is something I was working on last night for a DIPA. Looking for something huge on the nose hence the multiple late additions

So what do you think of the grain bill/hop additions?

13lbs of Marris Otter
1lb of Crystal 55L
0.6lb of Carapils

1.41 oz of Columbus 14.2%AA @ 75 minutes
0.88 oz of Simcoe 12.9%AA @ 10 minutes
0.88 oz of Amarillo 9.4%AA @ 10 minutes
0.88 oz of Simcoe 12.9%AA @ 5 minutes
0.88 oz of Amarillo 9.4%AA @ 5 minutes
0.88 oz of Simcoe 12.9%AA @ 1 minute
0.88 oz of Amarillo 9.4%AA @ 1 minute
0.70 oz of Amarillo (dry hop)
0.70 oz of Simcoe (dry hop)
0.70 oz of Columbus (dry hop)

Wyeast American Ale II (1272)

OG: 1.078
IBU: 93.4

Do you like your IPA's on the dry side or the malty/sweet side? I you like the latter, leave recipe as is. If you like em dry, drop the carapils, add a lb of sugar and mash closer to 150F...

I made a DIPA that had carapils in it and it wasn't sweet at all. I loved it.

What temp did you mash at?

I use .5 lb carapils in my DIPA, but I also cut the crystal to .25 lb. I mash at 150 or so, and like it dry. I also don't like the carmel-y sweet flavor from too much crystal.

I made a DIPA that had carapils in it and it wasn't sweet at all. I loved it.
Carapils doesn't sweeten the beer so to speak but gives it some body (unfermentables). Depends how much you use and how you like your IPA's. If you have a lb or two of crystal and/or carapils and you mash at 154F, the beer will not be dry. All depends on what you are going after...

Go simple. Use enough Maris otter + 1lb of white table sugar to get to your target gravity. Mash lower at 148-150 and ferment with your yeast of choice around 66-68. Try to finish no higher than 1.012.

Thanks for the feedback guys. While I don't have it in mind to brew a super sweet beer, given the 90+ IBU's I definitely want it to have a good malt backbone, and I don't want it to be too one dimentional. I don't think the crystal looks terribly excessive.

That much crystal is going to make it hard to get the FG low where the hops can shine (that is unless you like the sticky sweet DIPAs). If you must use crystal, I would recommend cutting it down to no more than 1/2# and using a lighter crystal like 20L. Remember that by using Maris otter over 2-row you will already get a maltier flavor anyway so don't overdo the crystal.

Thanks for the tip dirty martini, still getting to grips with putting a grain bill together, I'm only a few batches in to all grain. I'll definitely take your tips on board

I would cut the carapils, cut the crystal in half or completely. Skip the sugar, mash low and for 90 minutes and it will be great. The hops look good.

Ok guys, so on foot of your advice and also Jamil's segment on Imperial IPA's I'm going to amend the grain bill to:

12.5lbs Marris Otter
1.3 lb of table sugar
0.5lb of Light Crystal

Any additional thoughts?

Back