Dogfish Head - Rehoboth Beach, DE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erbium:YAG

Reaction score
I spent the holidays down at my parents home in Lewes, DE. While there, I couldn't resist stopping in Rehoboth Beach, next door and paying a visit to Dogfish Head. I was a bit disappointed they weren't serving anything through their Randall (Mondays and Fridays only); but had a few great beers fresh from the tap.

Midas Touch, which is based on a 2700 year old recipe found in the assumed tomb of King Midas, was definitely a surprise. It had a nice honey undertone which didn't overpower the other ingredients with sweetness and the saffron too was not overpowering. All in all, it was a very drinkable beer.

The 60 Minute IPA was a nicely balanced IPA. It maintained a nice harmony between the hops and malt. It was true to style and definitely one to have again.

They had a very nice Saison on tap. It wasn't crystal clear, overly carbonated and dry like other Saisons I've had. It was cloudy with a fuller body and a nice wonderful citrus undertone.

Finally, the 120 Minute IPA. This beer, despite it's 20% ABV, was indeed an IPA through and through. It seems that most big beers, or at least any that I've ever had, have an overwhelming malty flavor; but this beer manages to counter the maltiness with overwhelming hops additions and maintain IPA characteristics to the end. It has a smoother mouthfeel with a bit more bite and a nicely balanced hop aroma....definitely one everyone should try at least once.

After having tried these delights, I couldn't resist buying Sam's latest book, "Extreme Brewing". This is a nicely printed book and starts out like alot of brewing books. He is very basic on the basics. The book is peppered with "on the side" quotes and interesting trivia; but the heart of the book, which is the majority, are the recipies. Everything is there from Dogfish Head's own 60 Minute IPA and Midas Touch to Blood Orange Hefeweizen and Ginger Saison. This is definitely a keeper for the home brew library.

With all that said, it was a very nice way to conclude my Christmas holiday. Happy Holidays to all and a Happy New Year!

SWMBO and I just got back from lunch at Dogfish Head here in Gaithersburg, MD. This is one brewery that puts out some beers I like and some beers I really do not like. I'm a fan of their IPAs, and I was hoping to have some 120 Minute, but for some reason the pub here is always out of it. I tried the World Wide Stout, but wasn't too fond of it.

Our server surprised me with a suggestion of their 75 Minute IPA. I know of only the 60, 90, and 120 so I had to ask. He explained they pour a half and half of the 60 and 90. It was great!

I love the food, too!:mug: :ban:

I just tried some of the dogfish head 60 min and I must say it is a great beer. However, out here in the west, it is going for over ten bones a six pack. I can get Bridgeport IPA for roughly half that and it is at least 90% as good. So the Bridgeport wins the quantity / quality battle for my IPA dollar.
Is the DFH more reasonable back east?

cha ngo said:
I just tried some of the dogfish head 60 min and I must say it is a great beer. However, out here in the west, it is going for over ten bones a six pack. I can get Bridgeport IPA for roughly half that and it is at least 90% as good. So the Bridgeport wins the quantity / quality battle for my IPA dollar.
Is the DFH more reasonable back east?

I've never seen it less that $8-10 out here. Their beers do tend to be pricey.:(

erbiumyag said:
Midas Touch, which is based on a 2700 year old recipe found in the assumed tomb of King Midas, was definitely a surprise. It had a nice honey undertone which didn't overpower the other ingredients with sweetness and the saffron too was not overpowering. All in all, it was a very drinkable beer.

The 60 Minute IPA was a nicely balanced IPA. It maintained a nice harmony between the hops and malt. It was true to style and definitely one to have again.

Finally, the 120 Minute IPA. This beer, despite it's 20% ABV, was indeed an IPA through and through. It seems that most big beers, or at least any that I've ever had, have an overwhelming malty flavor; but this beer manages to counter the maltiness with overwhelming hops additions and maintain IPA characteristics to the end. It has a smoother mouthfeel with a bit more bite and a nicely balanced hop aroma....definitely one everyone should try at least once.

QUOTE]

Yes, i just had a Midas Touch two days ago. Though it is a sweeter beer than i like, it was a good one. I almost felt that the honey was a little much for me, but the beer has drinkablity.

120 Minute IPA... havn't tried it yet, but my local beer store just sent out an email to preorder it. I guess they can only get it 3 times a year. I am a big fan of the 60 and 90 Minute IPAs, so i'll give that a shot. Wish i could get them on tap here...:(

Back