New England Brew Session & yankee enginuity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olllllo said:
Looks like you all had a great event.
Congratulations.
Who's who in the photos for those of us scoring in our programs?

Yeah, how 'bout some captioning. I think I've got Hippie pegged (Bruins sweatshirt, Civil War cap)

the_bird said:
The keggle was great, except I need to figure out a better system for straining hop pellets. The SS braid I was using was clogging up too easily. Not sure if using a greater length would help, or if I need to build a manifold (I have most of the parts to do so here). We ended up draining it about halfway out, then lifting it and pouring the last of it into the fermenter. Live, learn, and figure out a better solution!

Or, I suppose a big ol' hop bag might be in my future, at least for next time (which should be soon).

So, much, much thanks again!

Go with whole hops, just throw the f*ckers in the kettle. You'll be fine.

glibbidy said:
Matt- I can't believe you got that girl to do that to the donkey, that's awesome;)

OK, there's a story here that needs tellin'
Let's hear it

Taken after glibbidy hijacked my camera!

glibbidy on left, half of bird on right

CFC - needs some work

Output of CFC + 120VAC! Don't step in the puddle!

The donkey pics will never make it to this thread. :)

Chill, I found another bottle of your hefe in my car last night, it had rolled under the front seat. Just glad it didn't freeze and explode!

That'd the hoppy-hefe, right?

that was a blast !!!

I don't think the trip to McNiell's at the end was a good idea, made for a tricky ride home.

It was fun to meet everybody and hang out, next time I'll bring my setup and do some Bruin, er rather brewing.

Glibbidy, thanks for hosting, your family is awesome! Thanks to everyone for the great samples. And Vermicous, thanks for the hookup:mug: not bad, the last to arrive, no gear, and I still leave with 5 gallons of beer...what a country:rockin: !!!

BostonBrewin, yup, you pegged me, pretty good lookin' guy huh?

Absolutely have to do this again!!

Thanks again to Glibbidy, he showed a fantastic degree of hospitality and generosity to what could have been a group of axe-wielding maniacs.

I too had a blast. It was a long, cold, and exhausting day, but it was good to finally see what other people do for brewing. It was also nice to finally put some faces to names.

I learned quite a bit from this event. I always figured my burner was a little underpowered, but I did not understand the difference till watched Bird's burner boil water in what seemed like 15 seconds. I also learned that no matter how sexy a CFC looks, it is always better to go with something that you know works. That thing will be back in storage for awhile.

Santa will be good to me this year, whether he likes it or not. A new burner and maybe some of that metal shelving that Glibbidy had, he made the entire process seem automatic.

And thanks again Bird for the Arrogant Bastard, I finally have a clue why people are so excited about it.

Ok, this morning fermentation was roaring. Temp is at a perfect 66 and it is smelling like one huge Warrior hop in the closet!

Yeah, had real good fermentation as of last night. Should be good - the first time I'll consistently be fermenting in the 60s.

Guess you didn't toss the piss jug in after all! Either that, or whoever used it last has a yeast infection. :D

My fermentation is going ape-$h*t as well.
I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves. Nice to hear the hippie made it back to Springfield in one piece.

Someone left a racking cane at my house.
There is a mystery beer in my basement fridge.....Bird is that your IPA?

Chilly- thanks for the hoppy heffe
Verm- I wish I could grabbed one of them imperial stout's to age in my arsenal.
2nd St. PM me your address, and I'll mail you a check for the racking canes, or I can paypal you, either way. LMK
We ended up kicking the Pale ale w/warrior hops, and the Bohemian Pilsner kegs. GREAT JOB guys! :rockin:

glibbidy said:
Someone left a racking cane at my house.
There is a mystery beer in my basement fridge.....Bird is that your IPA?

Chilly- thanks for the hoppy heffe
Verm- I wish I could grabbed one of them imperial stout's to age in my arsenal.
2nd St. PM me your address, and I'll mail you a check for the racking canes, or I can paypal you, either way. LMK
We ended up kicking the Pale ale w/warrior hops, and the Bohemian Pilsner kegs. GREAT JOB guys! :rockin:

I left the mystery beer. Is it one with a hooch brew cap right? If so that is a sweet stout that something went wrong with. Let me know what ya think it was! Don't worry, it won't kill you :)

2nd Street - also send me your paypal address, gasman!

Sounds like you guys had a fun time! I had awedding in Boston that I had to go to, otherwise I would have been there! Next time I make a trip to the NE I will make sure it includes a brew sesion!

smg8041 said:
Sounds like you guys had a fun time! I had awedding in Boston that I had to go to, otherwise I would have been there! Next time I make a trip to the NE I will make sure it includes a brew sesion!

Yeah I still have 3 more years until I can legally join you guys :cross: , but it sounds like it was awesome!

smg8041 said:

Yeah, too bad how the timing on that worked out. Let me know when you're going to be in the area, we'll get something organized.

Well finally got to move my SNPA clone to secondary(been mad busy last 2 weeks) Only got about 4gals out of it, gravity was 1.010. Dry hopped it and will probably keg or bottle in around the end of the year. Doesn't look like I'll have the time to brew again until after the new year:( . But what the hey, it tasted like beer:)

Just racked mine today as well. SG was 1.005 into secondary (so it'll be at least a 7.2% pale ale). Delicious beer. The usual young, warm, uncarbonated taste. Those 2oz of Warrior at FW are really awesome. Nice round bitterness that all but vanishes after about 3 seconds. I'll probably dry hop it, because it does lack the hop aroma a bit. I was going to use finings, but I don't see a need given how clear it is already.

There is something special knowing it is from grains only. Not a drop of extract. Now that's beer!

I'm going to rack mine in the morning. Two weeks ain't going to hurt!

So, are we still planning to meet up again in another six weeks or so for some sampling? Or, maybe if we get a nice weekend, have another brew session in early spring? I'm happy to host, I know VT is a bit of a haul for some people.

I just realized, that monster burner of mine used up more than half a tank of propane, and since I've already started brewing today... well, all the mash and sparge water is being heated inside. Guess I need to keep that thing in check a little bit...

I think it would have been more efficient if you hadn't had the dedicated preheat water. It seemed like you were boiling forever, too.

Heating the mash and sparge water inside is a good way to save propane. What's brewing today?

I also had the burner on way higher than I needed to.

Just sampled the porter - EXCELLENT (IMHO). The peat just comes through with the aroma, you can tell it's smoked, but really, it's just a good porter with a bit of extra aromatics. Very nice.

Doing my "Murder In The Red Barn" red IPA today... right now, in fact...

the_bird said:
So, are we still planning to meet up again in another six weeks or so for some sampling? Or, maybe if we get a nice weekend, have another brew session in early spring? I'm happy to host, I know VT is a bit of a haul for some people.

Though I didn't get a chance to meet all of you I was thinking about hosting the next event. Maerzen brewing in March would be nice. I'd also like to throw a pork shoulder in the smoker to make some nice pulled pork sandwiches

Kai

I was talking to the wife the other day. She would love for us to have another get-together that was family-friendly. We've got a pretty good number of kidlings right around the same age, so it could be fun. I'd be willing to host, it would actually make sure my ass stayed focused this winter on finishing some projects up. The brewers could take over the driveway, and we've got a modest-sized (but completely fenced-in) backyard for the kids and wives. Got a big deck for cooking out. There's a huge playground within walking distance for when the little ones need to stretch their legs. Cook up some burgers, etc.

Any interest in a get-together like that? My place is relatively central, just about an hour away from everybody! Some nice weekend in late April, early May? We may want to do another sampling get-together before then (at Kai's?).

I'll be moving to the VT, MA area from MI next month.

Where do you guys get supplies?

Are there any clubs in the area?

So far I've done extracts and specialty steeped grains. I'm planning on getting into the all grain scene soon. I've got three 1/2 barrels and a turkey fryer.

Trying to decide if I want to finish my last batch of brews before I move or take them with me.

I thought I heard about a Berkshires-based homebrew club, but could find no info. If you find your way over to Hennessy, you might ask the gent who runs the store. I heard it mentioned when he was on the local NPR station one afternoon.

Short of that, HBT pretty much IS my homebrew club (and there are rumblings that we may make this an official club). We're going to try and have get-togethers with some regularity, hopefully we'll have one going in Feburary or so.

Back