Ball Valve users: Pro tip of the day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zacharomyces

Reaction score
After cleaning and reassembling your valves, make sure that you have screwed them back on to your kettle the right direction. This will prevent you from having a kettle full of wort that you can't open the valve to drain.:ban: That is all, carry on. (There will be peace when you are done.)

After cleaning and reassembling your valves, make sure that you have screwed them back on to your kettle the right direction. This will prevent you from having a kettle full of wort that you can't open the valve to drain.:ban: That is all, carry on. (There will be peace when you are done.)

ROFL, that sucks. What did you end up doing? chilling with an IC, then draining with an autosiphon?

Luckily I noticed before the boil. I was in the process of very slowly draining my 175 degree wort into the HLT (the valve would open ever so slightly) when I devoted a few more brain cells to the problem and figured out that you could take the handle off and then use a pair of pliers to open the valve fully. So now I'm back on track! Game on!

Good thing you noticed before-hand, but if you didn't, would it be possible to remove the handle at that point and then use a pair of vise-grips or something to open it?

how do you screw on a ball valve on in the wrong direction? The threads only go one way.I have taken mine completely apart and orientated the handle the wrong way so it opened by turning it towards the keg easy fix just take the handle off and change the orientation by 180°

Edit: ohh you put the valves outlet towards the keggle my brain cells arent firing all that well today..

THAT would suck! I'm pretty sure I test mine everytime when I put back together, but hopefully this thread will remind me to do it every time. Thanks for the tip! :)

Been there. Done that. And it's usually after you do the best teflon tape job, the valve is in the perfect orientation and doesn't leak. Damn! Now I have to take this thing apart and do it all over again. Great, now I'm out of teflon tape. I knew I wasn't ready to brew today!

Back