20 mins into my 115th Hopdream IIPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I only have 2 oz of Cluster hops in there so far and the house smells great! I cant wait to add the remaining 14 ounces! It should be a great IIPA.

I used to do alot of wheat beers, and rye ales. I have really grown to love these IIPAs now! I am guessing there is no turning back now! :D

Actually, let me correct the name of the kit! 115th Dream Hopbursted IIPA. from Northern Brewer. Just got it into the primary. It is sitting at 1.119 gravity. 27.5 Balling sugars, and 15% ABV potential. Somewhere around 120 IBU's too. Should be good!!! I cant wait to drink a few of these with a nice maduro cigar!

im about to start either an ipa or an iipa... either way i can't wait. 120 ibu's sounds wonderful :)

Don't consider this a stealing of your thunder but more of an agreement that adding a sh&% load of hops is awesome. I just ordered the Pliny the Elder clone from AHB and I'm sporting a semi with anxiety to brew it and molest 17 oz of hops for 1 brew.

It definitely won't be 1.119 gravity though!

how are you controlling fermentation temp and I'm assuming you are using a huge starter?? Aeration technique?? I'm doing my first all grain HG this weekend with a est starting SG of 1.103

Thanks!!

It was crazy! I pitched the yeast just after 11 PM last night, and when I got home at 6PM this evening it was chuggin away, the ferment was pretty active for being less than 24 hrs later. I was amazed! Here is a pic! The color is looking nice!!!

Or two!

P8200085Medium.jpg

P8200086Medium.jpg

Actually, let me correct the name of the kit! 115th Dream Hopbursted IIPA. from Northern Brewer. Just got it into the primary. It is sitting at 1.119 gravity. 27.5 Balling sugars, and 15% ABV potential. Somewhere around 120 IBU's too. Should be good!!! I cant wait to drink a few of these with a nice maduro cigar!

1.119? Wow! NB gives an estimated OG of 1.085 for that kit. Looks tasty either way.

wow that is a lot of matter in the bottom, did you use any sort of filter going into the primary like a SS colander or something? Also, is it getting hit by sunlight sitting there?

wow that is a lot of matter in the bottom, did you use any sort of filter going into the primary like a SS colander or something? Also, is it getting hit by sunlight sitting there?

I never filter, or strain the wort before pouring into the primary. I do leave what settles in the kettle in there, the rest settles and is left when I rack it over to the secondary. It does not get any sunlight, as I cover it with a tee-shirt and it sits in the sink on the kitchen island. The temp is controlled by the thermostat in the house. It stays between 75-71. It smells SOOOO good blubbin away in there! Damn I just wanna make a car freshner out of the hops. Of course it would be hard to explain to the cops when they pull you over!

I never filter, or strain the wort before pouring into the primary. I do leave what settles in the kettle in there, the rest settles and is left when I rack it over to the secondary.

I can't even imagine how you pass that much trub withoug clogging your system. I'm sure it turns out delicious, but that's gotta be 1/2 gallon to a gallon of lost beer space in the primary isn't it?

Hey JOHN, just out of curiosity, what type of hops are in that kit? All the inventory says is "Hopburst blend".

Hey JOHN, just out of curiosity, what type of hops are in that kit? All the inventory says is "Hopburst blend".

The hops list is as follows:

60 min-2 oz Cluster
30 min-2 oz Cluster
15 min-3 oz Hopburst Blend-( Warrior, Centennial, Columbus)-don't quote me on this?
10 min- 3 oz Hopburst Blend
05 min-3 oz Hopburst Blend
00 min-3 oz Hopburst Blend

Thinking on dry hopping in the secondary for 2 weeks with an additional 2 oz of Amarillo leaf hops.

I just took a gravity reading and will check it in a few days to see if it is ready to rack yet.

1.033 (temp adjusted)
4% ABV
8 on BS

I drank it after the gravity reading and it is frickin KILLER!!! I cannot wait to drink this in a few months!! Has a killer color to it also. It reminded me of a Torpedo as far as the balanced bitterness. Mmmm Nom nom nom BEER!!!:mug:

Thats a ****load of hops.I bet it taste great,with hot wings and waffle frys

Wow that's a major trub deposit in the fermentor. I see that on deck is a Sierra Nevada Torpedo clone. I'm interested in making the same thing as my next effort. Can you post your recipe and/or tell me where you got it?

Roudy

If you had to dry hop this already KILLER beer, which would you use? Amarillo, or Centennial?

Wow that's a major trub deposit in the fermentor. I see that on deck is a Sierra Nevada Torpedo clone. I'm interested in making the same thing as my next effort. Can you post your recipe and/or tell me where you got it?

Roudy

Austin Homebrew Supply now has a SN Torpedo clone kit!

John, Go with Centennial!

Thinking on dry hopping in the secondary for 2 weeks with an additional 2 oz of Amarillo leaf hops.

I'd go with one of the hops in the hopburst blend. Warrior, Columbus or Centennial would work, or a combination of a couple of these. Even if you don't dry hop at all it will be a hop bomb that you should be able to smell from across the room.

It smells killer right now, but the last IPA I bottled had some good hop aroma and it died off in the bottle a lot.

I brewed this kit yesterday - wow, I had a mess when I sparged from the kettle the carboy. John, what was your starting gravity?

Starting was 1.119 temp adjusted. It is sitting at 1.033 now. It has been 3 days since i took the last reading. I will check gravity and rack over and dryhop if it is ready.

Interesting....my OG was 1.082 (corrected) for which was slightly off of NB's OG of 1.085. Anyhow, I can't wait to drink this! The closet that I have the carboy in smells wonderful!

Interesting....my OG was 1.082 (corrected) for which was slightly off of NB's OG of 1.085. Anyhow, I can't wait to drink this! The closet that I have the carboy in smells wonderful!

Wierd. I calculated this at about 1.102 for a 5 gallon batch. Your gravity is way off my friend.

If you had to dry hop this already KILLER beer, which would you use? Amarillo, or Centennial?

It it were me i would use neither. Go with a 50/50 centennial/chinook. I dig the piney aroma from the chinook and the citrus from the centennial. happy brewing!

Back