What to do with kettles now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

left field brewer

Reaction score
I have two 30qt pots that I dropped off at the welder a couple days ago. I got a call today telling me that they're to thin to weld in couplers(he tried one and it slipped/leaked?) so I'm not sure what to do.The holes are just a hare bigger than an inch to fit the 1/2" coupler, so do I just create a larger diameter "bulkhead" fitting and reduce it back to 1/2"for the ball valves/fittings? Suggestions for parts-types of o-rings would be appreciated. The pots were only $50 a piece but wasn't exactly looking to head to the scrapyard with them. Lesson learned: show your welder your equipment before drilling holes for couplings. Thanks.

I also agree, with the right welding setup you should be able to weld anything. Find another welder.

If they are stainless steel the holes need to be very close to the coupler size. If they are sloppy or too big, good luck finding another welder.

Another option would be to silver solder fittings in. With a 1" hole, you you could use a 3/4" MPT to 1/2" FPT bushing. In a thin pot, you should be able to thread the bushing right into the hole if it's a nice tight fit. A kit of liquid flux and solder should be under $10 and enough to do a few bulkheads.

Find a real welder. I used to work with guys that said "if you can step across a crack you can weld across it".

Really, a competant welder with the right rig can weld anything short of tin foil.

Find a real welder. I used to work with guys that said "if you can step across a crack you can weld across it".

Really, a competant welder with the right rig can weld anything short of tin foil.

You can weld tin foil with a tig welder I have a dvd that shows you how.
Pat

Thanks for the replies. I do think it is a damn thin pot, but I thought a skilled welder would know how to approach it. Unfortunately, he fd up the one and the weld leaks before deciding not to try the other. I'll post some pics later. Oh, and he works for a local "reputable" bigger welding shop. The existing hole in the other is just a hare over an inch(coupling just fits in w/tiny gap).

A TIG welder will be able to do this with an experienced person controlling it.

Of course, a bulkhead fitting and the right seal will also do the job.

take the F'd up one to another welder and ask if they can fix it. If not, try another welder. If nobody can fix it, go weldless.

B

First of all, what kind of material is it? I know aluminum is harder to weld than SS especially if it's thin walled. For stainless steel, keggles are regularly welded for us homebrewers without any issue... Try to find a company that works in "Micro welding"

They're just real thin 304 18/0 SS made by Proctor Silex. I know that the welding on my keg-mlt will be no problem, but these pots are much thinner. I just wanted to weld for strength and cause I was already getting the keg welded. The one pot isn't that messed up, it just leaks and is a little warped on one side of the weld. I can probably grind the rest of the weld, then maybe silver solder on the outside and inside of the pot around coupling. Or maybe just take it to another welder to fix. I think what happened is he could have taken his time and made it work, but got frustrated and figured it wasn't worth the company's time/money, especially if there are other projects for more dinero. Just my guess. What an arse. Damn I need to learn to weld. Can someone say community college course?

For me, the learning isn't the problem. It's the cost of the right equipment. I real good tig welder ain't cheap. I'm not saying it's easy or anybody can do it. But if you can afford the gear, you can afford to practice until you can do it.

Back