Cleaning an old 10 Gallon Stainless Steel Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
I just bought a 10 gallon stainless steel pot (yep along with my other thread about the burner stand) and it was also outside. I need to clean it get it up to brewing quality. What should I use?

Star San soak? Oxylean soak? Another idea? If I should use a soak how much cleaner / sanitizer should I use? Should i use a more concentrated amount since it needs a deep cleaning?

Let me know what you think.

Bar Keepers Friend works wonders on my corny kegs. Gets surface rust off and just about anything else. Lowe's and HD have it if you can't find it anywhere else.

Star San is for sanitizing, so I am not sure about that. I'd recommend going after it with Barkeeper's Friend and a green scrubbie. Barkeeper's Friend contains oxalic acid, which will repassify the stainless steel should it have damage.

Greg

bar keepers friend worked very well on this pot. I am just concerned about it all getting washed out. I boiled a small amount of water and it had a thin layer of foam on top of the water. Is this just from the boil or could there be another issue with the pot / BKF still in it. I washed it out pretty darn well. I just dont want to waste a batch of beer due to a bad pot

Back