Are these fermentation temps ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale to the Chief

Reaction score
Now that the weather here is getting warmer, I am now for the first time having trouble with my fermentation temps. I brewed an Irish Red Ale this weekend and the air temperature has been around 70-75 degrees the entire time, so I'm sure the temp in the fermenter is a few degrees warmer than that.

What kind of flavors should I expect from fermenting at these temps? Fruity tasting esters?

What yeast did you use. most wyeast strains I know do fine up into the mid 70's. It may just get a bit fruity on you but will still be ok. I am contemplating this question as well now because I dont have air conditioning and the temp in my apartment can easily fluctuate 15 degrees in the course or just 4 hours so, it could make brewing this summer interresting.

Yeah I just started brewing this winter so this is the first time I've had trouble with it. I don't know the specific yeast I used unfortunately. It was a dry yeast from Munton's that came in their Red Ale kit. It started fermenting within hours

I'm just a couple of hours south of Chicago, in Indiana. I'm starting to have the same problem as well. However, the best method I found for this is what many have mentioned on here. Get a big storage bin from Walmart. Put your carboys/fermenters inside it with a few inches of water. This has worked so far this season to lower the temp to around 68 for me. Once temps get hotter, you can have a few bottles of frozen water on hand and rotate them in and out of your storage bin. Once one melts, put it in the freezer and replace with a new one. Works pretty good for me.

If you're a Belgian Fan, look into brewing some Saisons. The Yeast usually need a higher temperature to get the fruity and spicy flavors that you want in these brews.

And do some open fermentation.

Other than that, +1 on cool water baths.

Cheers,

Back