Quadrupel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
Hi guys
Can someone point me to a good recipe and procedure set (from experience) for brewing a Westvleteren 12, or Rochefort 10? I pay $18 bucks a bottle for the Westy, and would love to be able to come close at home. Does anyone here have good experience with this?

Thanks
KD

I actually just did a PM version of this recipe last night, but bumped down the ingredients to enter the tripel realm (or Rochefort 8). I really preferred their tripel over their quad. Looked and tasted good when I finished up...now we wait.

shunoshi said:
I really prefered their tripel .

God, thank you shunoshi for spelling it properly. :D ...Just one of my pet peeves :p (you wouldn't label a Stout as Stoud...I dunno what a Trippel is :p)..I know, I know...big deal. Just saying though. Again thanks for spelling it right :)

zoebisch01 said:
shunoshi said:
I really prefered their tripel .
God, thank you shunoshi for spelling it properly. :D ...Just one of my pet peeves :p (you wouldn't label a Stout as Stoud...I dunno what a Trippel is :p)..I know, I know...big deal. Just saying though. Again thanks for spelling it right

Looks like I forgot how to spell "preferred" though. :p

hmmm, i thought Tripel and Trippel were both considered acceptable.
anyway...isn't a quadrupel a strong dark, where as a tripel is a strong pale?

Not recipies... but should point you on the right path for makeing something simmilar.

Rochefort 10
OG: 1.096 (23 °P)
IBU: 27
Pilsner & caramel malts + White sugar, Dark sugar and wheat starch.
Coriander spice
Styrian Goldings + Hallertau

Pitch yeast at 68° allowed to rise to 73° for 7 days

Moved to secondary and cooled to 46° for 3 days.

Apparent attenuation 89%

Westvleteren 8
OG 1.072 (17.6 °P)
IBU 35
Pale and Pilsner malts
Sucrose & caramelized sugar
Northern Brewer, Hallertau, Styrian Goldings
Yeast pitched at 68°, rises to 82-84° for 4 to 6 days
Racked to secondary for 4 to 6 weeks @ 50°

the above comes from the book, "Brew Like a Monk" by Stan Hieronymus, which I just finished reading and Highly recommend to any one who has a passion for brewing Belgian ales.

triple, dreifach, triplo, тройной, triplíquese, tripler, triplicare, Verdrievoudig, tredobbelt...ok, now I'M confused...what language is "tripel" anyway?

and yes, the name is more about the style and not the alcohol gravity. a quadrupel isn't really a name for any style. "Belgian Dark Strong Ale" is a style, tho (and very tasty)

bjcp calls a triple a tripel

Zzyzx said:
Not recipies... but should point you on the right path for makeing something simmilar.

Rochefort 10
OG: 1.096 (23 °P)
IBU: 27
Pilsner & caramel malts + White sugar, Dark sugar and wheat starch.
Coriander spice
Styrian Goldings + Hallertau

Pitch yeast at 68° allowed to rise to 73° for 7 days

Moved to secondary and cooled to 46° for 3 days.

Apparent attenuation 89%

Westvleteren 8
OG 1.072 (17.6 °P)
IBU 35
Pale and Pilsner malts
Sucrose & caramelized sugar
Northern Brewer, Hallertau, Styrian Goldings
Yeast pitched at 68°, rises to 82-84° for 4 to 6 days
Racked to secondary for 4 to 6 weeks @ 50°

the above comes from the book, "Brew Like a Monk" by Stan Hieronymus, which I just finished reading and Highly recommend to any one who has a passion for brewing Belgian ales.

Thanks for these. Yes, Quadrupel is a BDSA.

Back