Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing you can always count on in a forum: someone WILL inevitably come out with some incredibly skewed stretch of some fragment of fact to correct you... All the while ignoring the actual point of what you even said. Ex: some idiot told me "homebrew has estrogen, unlike his BMC"
Clears throat gets on soap box -well technically there is a plant form of something similar to estrogen in all beers that acts kind of like estrogen blah blah,

ohhhhh now I see. The guy who made the estrogen statement isn't just insecure and overly compensating, he is a closet genius clearly referring to phytoestrogens...

Can't wait till you ask him and you come back to tell us he gave you the breakdown of how phytoestrogens act on the molecular level

Way to be the official forum jerk there.

All I said was he wasn't exactly wrong. He was far from correct as well, which I pointed out.

I am sorry if I offended you by pointing out facts.

dannypo said:

All I said was he wasn't exactly wrong. He was far from correct as well, which I pointed out.

I thought you were trying to be the official forum jerk that is what bothered me. It seems to be increasingly common for people to Jump in with this type of ridiculously pedantic stuff. They fail to realize that breaking everything down to such a microscopic level to try and correct someone to sound intelligent/knowledgeable, does not have this intended effect. It just makes you look like a d*ck. In the interest of not further disrupting the forum with this nonsense, if your intent was not to correct him to sound smart I apologize I must have misread you.

Sorry, but he was just stating what many people were thinking. Frat boy's assertation that homebrew contains estrogen, and BMC does not, was ludicrious.

Your argument for the sake of argument that said fratboy might be technically correct on some unintentional level was just you behaving in a toolish manner, and completely missed the entire point of the posted statement. Maybe that's not what you meant, but it's certainly how you came across.

Perhaps he should have woven you a daisy chain first to soften the blow, as he obviously hurt your feelings, but yours was the post that didn't belong.

Damn why did I get involved, probably should have just let it go as usual, but it is getting kind of old. Quick somebody post something funny, where's creamy with a good fart when you need him ???

homebrewdad said:
Sorry, but he was just stating what many people were thinking. Frat boy's assertation that homebrew contains estrogen, and BMC does not, was ludicrious.

Your argument for the sake of argument that said fratboy might be technically correct on some unintentional level was just you behaving in a toolish manner, and completely missed the entire point of the posted statement. Maybe that's not what you meant, but it's certainly how you came across.

Perhaps he should have woven you a daisy chain first to soften the blow, as he obviously hurt your feelings, but yours was the post that didn't belong.

For the record, that's not at all how I took the phytoestrogen comment. The problem with written word is there's no tone behind it so if your in a good mood you'll probably not take it badly. Bad or weird mood, them you probably will take offense. I've found it best to assume positive (on here and especially in emails at work). I for one appreciated the phytoestrogen comment because I had thought the same thing.

Sound advice I suppose. So lets try to assume positive and get back on topic haha

Good idea. I'll start. I was on this homebrew forum, and some tubby know-it-all started talking.g about phytoestrogens in beer.

PS. In case you didn't notice, that was me ;)

Ok not about beer but this thread needs a chuckle. So heres a good Halloween costume idea. Tell everyone at the Halloween party you will be attending, then dont show up.......BOOM your Manti Teos girlfriend!

"I know what puce is. It's what you do when you've had way to much to drink."

I could have sworn that was the dribble that rolls down your chin when you tried to down just a little too much...

In a bar in Newcastle upon Tyne. A group of businessmen approached the bar, and one of them was reading the beer menu on the balckboard, and asked the barman for some "Eaper". No one knew what he meant until the barman figured it out.

"I think you mean IPA" :drunk:

Heard this gem this weekend.

"I don't like beer, its all nasty" ---this transpired into this..."Except four loko, it's beer with fruit added"

Yes....Yes, you believe that.

drainbamage said:
Girl#1 (talking about a strong winter ale): "This seems like the kind of beer you'd drink out of a sniffer."
Girl#2: "I thought it was called a sphincter?"

There's a 2 Girls 1 Cup joke in here somewhere...:eek:

If the girl wants to sniff a sphincter, who am I to complain?

I just got a good one yesterday. My mom was visiting and she mentioned that she likes Nut Brown Ales. I happen to have a Nut Brown on tap (Jamil's recipe from Brewing Network... it's seriously good), so I pour her a glass. She tastes it and says "Oh, that's really good! definitely tastes like homemade beer though."

I'm still not really sure what she meant by that....

This may not be the original direction that this thread was meant but it was still quite funny to me. My son just turned 21 and went to the local package store that has a great selection of micro brews and some unique imports. He purchased an $8.00, 12 oz bottle of a dark strong Italian ale (I'm not sure what it was) to celebrate his birthday. He said that it was fantastic. Fast forward to today, he was going to a professional basketball game and I told him to be careful and not drink too much. He said that was not going to drink at all. He will not pay $6.00 for a 22 oz glass of Bud Light. I had to laugh but I think that I created a monster or at least a beer snob.

This may not be the original direction that this thread was meant but it was still quite funny to me. My son just turned 21 and went to the local package store that has a great selection of micro brews and some unique imports. He purchased an $8.00, 12 oz bottle of a dark strong Italian ale (I'm not sure what it was) to celebrate his birthday. He said that it was fantastic. Fast forward to today, he was going to a professional basketball game and I told him to be careful and not drink too much. He said that was not going to drink at all. He will not pay $6.00 for a 22 oz glass of Bud Light. I had to laugh but I think that I created a monster or at least a beer snob.
That's why you stick a shooter of rum into the lining of your coat. Pour that into your coke and you're good. Just make sure you get one with a plastic cap, or it will set off the metal detector. :D

Or someone that knows the value of money and would rather spend his on something of value than to just get drunk at a basketball game :D
It sounds to me that you sir have done a fine job!
We have a craft beer bar here in NZ that stocks a lot of imported craft. I paid $12 for a pint of Racer 5, most of the reason is I would not be able to visit this bar again for a long while. While it was a good beer I couldn't completely gid rid of that voice in my head telling me I could have brewed 20 pints of beer that tasted just as good for the price I paid... I think I'm a bit cheap though

bighornmountaindew said:
If only you could get a good beer at a ballgame!

Bottle a few beers from each batch you make in PET soda bottles and you'll be drinking some decent beer:rockin:

I went in the package store this evening for some vodka for my airlock. One of the ladies working there told me that it's legal to distill up to two gallons of moonshine for personal use (it isn't, not by a long shot) and it's legal to brew beer (also wrong, though that may change this year).

I just smiled and nodded.

BarefootFriar said:
I went in the package store this evening for some vodka for my airlock. One of the ladies working there told me that it's legal to distill up to two gallons of moonshine for personal use (it isn't, not by a long shot) and it's legal to brew beer (also wrong, though that may change this year).

I just smiled and nodded.

A friend was telling me something like that the other day.

Lush, I believe I just had that exact same conversation with a guy from work that does the illegal stuff. I let him believe what he wants, his "stuff" is horrible, but he is proud of it.

Yeah I just looked it up and the only way I can do it is if I go to college and enter a science fair where I distill alcohol.

this is proof that not all parents are idiots (I've had serious doubts) and that there is hope for future generations

I'm working on that, at least at the minor league level

My girlfriend told me I have to stop fly-sparging in the house because it makes her have to pee. I tried to negotiate by saying then she would have to stop watching "Real Housewives of [ENTER CITY HERE]" while I was in the house. I'm still sparging in the kitchen...

Cincinnati has a decent beer selection at Reds games, although yes, it costs more and you have to put up with stuff like ordering a Two-Hearted Ale and getting "huh? Oh, the fish beer?" in response.

There's only one stand that sells real craft beer though (stuff like Yuengling, Heineken and Dos Equis is a little easier to find), so if you sit in the nosebleed seats, you're stuck with a hike to get to it.

My buddy just bottled his first batch of beer. We were sipping on the hydro sample and passed it to his girlfriend. She took a sip and said "oh that is good, I especially like it because it is cloudy like blue moon. Will this taste like blue moon after it has carbed up?"

My buddy had brewed an irish red...

God save him, he answered, "I don't think it will...but, we can do a side by side if you want."

Like leftover yeast vials? :mug:
That'll work. It might be a little harder to hide though. A friend of mine sticks a shooter in under the tongue of each shoe when he's going to football and baseball games all the time. :)

Back