Keg lines cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
My second batch I kegged. Trying to prepare for next batch, what do you recommend for a cleaning kit? I am using the plastic picnic tap, not the full flesged steel tap handle etc. i see kits on ebay for $50 or so. Do I need a pump that comes with these kits? Any help is appreciated. Thx

I would suggest just taking the ball lock coupler and picnic tap apart and soaking it in a cleaning solution. Both the coupler and tap unscrew pretty easily. Those kits are more for cleaning lines you cant access. At this point i don't think you need to spend the money on a kit

IME, no need to get a specific kit to clean the keg and liquid side. I simply give the kicked keg a good rinse, then put 1-2 gallons of hot PBW solution in it. Shake the F out of it, then let it settle for a bit. Once it's ready, I run some through my liquid line (that the keg vacated) to clean. I then empty the keg out, rinse it out, put about a gallon of clear water in it and run a quart or two through the liquid side/line. Dump and pour 2-4 quarts of Star San into the keg. Swirl/shake to completely cover the keg insides, let sit for a few minutes, then run 1-2 quarts through the liquid side. Done without any additional hardware/kits. :D

I stopped using the picnic taps early on. I didn't like how they were prone to drip and were easy to open up if you were not extremely careful when setting them down. Went over to actual faucets (Perlick 525ss and 575ss) and haven't looked back. I'd consider using a picnic tap IF I'm taking a small keg (1 gallon) someplace.

Latest posts

Back