Is it too late to wash my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outrunu

Reaction score
I kegged last week, and with the holidays I didn't have time to do a yeast wash like I planned. I had a ten gallon batch, so I have two yeast cakes in carboys, that I left a layer of beer on and shot some co2 into the carboy. They've been stored at about 34^f. Is it even possible to salvage this yeast now?

Thanks.

So your suggesting to just collect the slurry and refrigerate it? This will be my first time harvesting, if you could give me a rundown of your technique, I would appreciate it.

I am curious too - would the best practice then be to regularly drain the old water off the top and add fresh?
That's what i have been doing and it seems to work.

I just sanitize the mason jars and pour right from the ale pail into them. If some gets on the lip of the jar I wipe it off with a paper towel soaked in whiskey. For the first few days in the fridge CO2 will be off-gassing so you can either leave it barley closed which will allow the CO2 to sneak by as the pressure builds, or let it breath a couple times a day until it stops off-gassing.

Back