Where to drink in Indy???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atimmerman88

Reaction score
I'll be in Indianpolis next week for a conference, does any one have any recommended brew pubs / restaurants that would be of interest?

Thanks in advance :)

-AT

Also, Broad Ripple Brewpub has always looked cool, but I've personally not had a chance to go. Heard good things though.

I'll be staying on W. South and S. Capital streets near download I believe...Hoping to stay near there on cabs or by foot. Can sample local flavor more that way :)

Broad Ripple is really good. The Sparky's Chocolate Milk Stout is on the short list of the best beers i've ever had. The food and atmosphere is great too!

Also, There are several breweries near Broad Ripple if I remember correctly. You could hit a few different places.

the broad ripple are looks like a 10mile drive from where we are staying but it looks like there is a walk - train - walk option that would work out well.

thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I liked Slippery Noodle Inn. I was pretty drunk by the time we made it there, but they had a live jazz band playing and it was a good time, from what I remember.

atimmerman88 said:
I'll be staying on W. South and S. Capital streets near download I believe...Hoping to stay near there on cabs or by foot. Can sample local flavor more that way :)

The only places I know of where you are staying downtown is Rock Bottom and RAM.

there are a couple of brewpubs downtown that should be in walking distance. Ask the front desk and they can help with what is close.

I recommend Flat 12. I met a couple of the brewers a couple weeks ago, real nice guys and great beer.

Enjoyed some final jazz, food, and beer @ slippery noodle. great recommendation! The HD Net show 'Drinking Made Easy' will also be there next week, cool talking with the staff about what they are planning.

We also went to Rock Bottom Brewery for a quick pint too, nice little place!

derp
30ikpwg.jpg

i guess I am a bit late.

Flat 12, Triton, and Fountain Square are downtown. Fountain Square brewery is relatively new but I just had their blonde a few weeks ago and was blown away.

If you like English style ales I recommend the Chatham Tap downtown as ales although it is not a brewery

If you can make it to Broad Ripple you have to go to the Broad Ripple Brewpub and have an ESB. It's ranked 8th on BA in the ESB category and definitely lives up to that hype if not more. It is as close to a true British pub style ESB you will ever find stateside. Brugge in Broad Ripple is also very good. Fantastic food at Brugge and some good Belgian style ales.

Edit: In between downtown and Broad Ripple there is also Twenty Tap that has actually 31 beers on tap from breweries all over Indiana and a few from the greater Midwestern region. Highly recommend it. Have a cuban sandwich while you're there and you can thank me later.

Broad Ripple Brewpub is my favorite place to drink in the state. like the guy above me said: the ESB is always on cask and always worth drinking 2-3 pints. simply amazing. i always get a scotch egg pizza with it although last time i got the brisket sandwich with pemento cheese. solid choice on my part

while you're out there, you outta head down the Monon Trail and stop off at Brugge Brasserie. they always have one of their own sours on tap. i was there this last weekend and it was their Pooka (boysenberry sour). my wifes favorite.

Thr3e Wisemen is right across the street but outside of their food (pizza is awesome) their beer sucks. their double ipa comes off as a pale ale.

i've also heard good things about Twenty Tap. we always have the kids with us and i've been too lazy to call and see if kids are allowed in

i've also heard good things about Twenty Tap. we always have the kids with us and i've been too lazy to call and see if kids are allowed in

They are. Just don't go on a Saturday night. There's always a pretty long wait for a table. They're closed on Sundays but IIRC they do a $3.50 pint special on Tuesdays.

FYI, Sun King is downtown, and this Saturday they're having the Hoosier Beer Geek's Tailgate for Nothing 6 in the parking lot. It's essentially a giant party/tailgate for no reason other than drinking good beer. The brewery is open as well. You can get samples and buy for carry out.

I'll also second Tomlinson Taproom. It's a great place to get to sample beers from all over the state.

Flat 12, Broad Ripple Brewpub, and Twenty Tap are my favorites. Broad Ripple has some great food, too (try pairing a stout with their bread pudding).

Surprised no one's invited you over to their place yet.

Upland Tap Room on North College
the Wheat Ale and Pale Ale are past GABF winners.

The Rathskeller on Michigan and Mass. Ave. on the NE side of downtown has great selection of German beers an awesome schnitzel. The building is classic German style and was designed by Kurt Vonnegut's grandfather.

terror_storm said:
I liked Slippery Noodle Inn. I was pretty drunk by the time we made it there, but they had a live jazz band playing and it was a good time, from what I remember.

I also had a great time there. I was in the same condition...third bar of the night.

We swung through rock bottom brewery, they had some good food. We also ate at the Ram brewery. Both are chains but the food was good and the beer was also tasty.

Slippery noodle definitely had some charactet

Back