warm yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

td9479

Reaction score
Just receive a wyeast 3711 in the mail. I ordered a cold pack with it and when I opened the package it felt warm. Is the yeast bad now?

smack the yeast like it says in the instructions, if it pops up your good read instructions on package, you have at least a week with it in the fridge before you REALLY have to pitch it, just got wyeast 3724 it was warm when it got it activated the pack and yeast took off like crazy their both warm weather yeasts not a problem

Make a starter. My first batch ever shipped during the massive heat wave we had last month. Spent 3 days in a truck @ 100 degrees then sat on my porch in the sun for half a day @ 100 degrees. I made a starter and after pitching into my 5 gallon batch had signs of fermentation after 12 hours, vigorous after 24. You should be fine. But like I said I would make a starter.

Just receive a wyeast 3711 in the mail. I ordered a cold pack with it and when I opened the package it felt warm. Is the yeast bad now?

They are usually fine, but depending on how hot they got, they may be stressed. I only ever had a couple of dead yeast packs, and those were shipped from Texas to Florida during the middle of summer. Those cold packs usually melt within a couple of hours of packaging.

I would try and buy your yeast locally during the summer if you can. It may be a touch more expensive, but the yeast companies send them in insulated boxes via second-day air to the homebrew shops. When I take delivery of them at the shop, they are rarely warmer than about 75 degrees even in the middle of summer.

Thanks again for all the help. 10 hours after pitching, the fermentation started. At around 17 hours, I was watching TV in my basement (which is under my kitchen where the primary is located at 75 degrees) and my wife told me to mute the TV. We could hear a heartbeat like sound coming from somewhere and followed it up to the kitchen. Sure enough it was the saison going to town. I have a blow off tube going into an empty gallon water bottle. It was music to my ears. I guess the yeast was ok. I'll keep updating throughout the process and will eventually post the recipe.

Transfered to secondary after 9 days in primary. Average temp was 76 degrees F. OG=1.05 and the reading at xfer was 1.008. Added the dry hops. Airlock is not getting much activity and will take another reading tomorrow. This batch fermented pretty quick and if the reading holds, I'll bottle it this weekend. Should I try to rouse the yeast ? OR hope that it is done? I've used all calypso hops for this saison and the sample was awesome. Will update as I go. Thanks again

Back