Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a few martinis and could really go for a beer so I just tapped a keg of the CB that has been on the gas for 2 days and was brewed 8 days ago; this beer is very good and has no signs of green-ness at all. This is pretty amazing, thanks BM! OBTW, it tastes really good, little malty, little hop presence and a nice dry finish.

Hey BM. Long time lurker first time poster. I have made this beer in the past using the 1,2,3 time frame (one week primary, 2 weeks secondary 3 weeks bottles). Brought my latest batch to a new years party and it was a big hit! Unfortunately the drank all my beer and now I need a batch for the super bowl. I can't brew to next Saturday January 8th. That leaves me 4 weeks to get this beer ready. What is the best plan to get this beer ready to drink in 4 weeks, bottle conditioned? Thanks in advance for your advise and also for an excellent recipe.

Well I made a last minute brew change and decided to try the the CB. I'd usually research it better but since it was so rushed I didn't do all my homework (reading this thread). Anyway, I split a 10gal batch with notty and Safale, only I accidentally pitched 04 instead of 05. Any idea how the SF 04 will turn out for this style? Sweeter / fruitier I'd imagine. Thankfully I have 5 gal of the original recipe for a control I guess.

Well I made a last minute brew change and decided to try the the CB. I'd usually research it better but since it was so rushed I didn't do all my homework (reading this thread). Anyway, I split a 10gal batch with notty and Safale, only I accidentally pitched 04 instead of 05. Any idea how the SF 04 will turn out for this style? Sweeter / fruitier I'd imagine. Thankfully I have 5 gal of the original recipe for a control I guess.
A little maltier is all. Not a bad thing though this time of year.

Holy crap that's a fluffy head.

Hey BM. Long time lurker first time poster. I have made this beer in the past using the 1,2,3 time frame (one week primary, 2 weeks secondary 3 weeks bottles). Brought my latest batch to a new years party and it was a big hit! Unfortunately the drank all my beer and now I need a batch for the super bowl. I can't brew to next Saturday January 8th. That leaves me 4 weeks to get this beer ready. What is the best plan to get this beer ready to drink in 4 weeks, bottle conditioned? Thanks in advance for your advise and also for an excellent recipe.

Aerate the crap out of the beer and use plenty of yeast. Give it 10 days in the primary and then right to the bottling bucket and bottle. This is a low gravity beer and can be drinkable pretty quickly. Get those bottles into a 70 degree room so they carbonate quickly (not warmer). I'd try to allow at least 48 hours in the fridge prior to serving. They will definitely be cloudy due to chill haze, but two full days in the chiller should lock in the carbonation so you have good head retention. (I always refer to my chill haze beers as "unfiltered". People seem to dig that. :D)

Aerate the crap out of the beer and use plenty of yeast. Give it 10 days in the primary and then right to the bottling bucket and bottle. This is a low gravity beer and can be drinkable pretty quickly.

My thoughts too. I have to admit I have opened this beer two weeks after bottling and it was excellent, a little low on the carbonation but passable with a slight chill haze (never bothered me). Thanks for the advice.

Holy crap that's a fluffy head.

yea, i have a chrome faucet and a perlick. the perlick pours perfect but the old chrome one seems to foam a lot. that's ok though, i don't mind a huge fluffy white head on this beer. thanks again BM, this beer is a huge with with everyone who drinks it.

I just put 5 gallons of this on the gas that had 2 weeks on the primary at 65f, and 2 weeks in the secondary at 34f. I am wondering if the hybrid technique will make it a tad more "lager-like". Its already a great quaffer, my first batch went out of the primary in 8 days and on the gas for 2 and was totally drinkable. I just wanted to see what would happen... I'll let you guys know.

PS I get the vienna at the end of the taste with the slight hoppiness; its really a well rounded beer for 1.040!

Here's the plan: I'm gonna brew 10 gallons of CB this weekend. 5 gallons will get nottingham, the other 5 will go on a Bavarian Lager cake. I have a funny feeling that this recipe will kick arss as a lager. Has anyone ever done it?

BIAB and sat in a bottle for 3 weeks. Great flavor!
Would brew again with a bit more carapils

blondeo.jpg

The color on my photo is much darker that the actual brew is. Quite deceiving.

BIAB and sat in a bottle for 3 weeks. Great flavor!
Would brew again with a bit more carapils

blondeo.jpg

The color on my photo is much darker that the actual brew is. Quite deceiving.

timbudtwo, could you share your BIAB procedure for this brew? I have the ingredients ready to go. I have paint bags from Lowes and a 5 gallon pot. This would be my first BIAB / All Grain of any kind.

Thanks,

Txinga

timbudtwo, could you share your BIAB procedure for this brew? I have the ingredients ready to go. I have paint bags from Lowes and a 5 gallon pot. This would be my first BIAB / All Grain of any kind.

Thanks,

Txinga

Was my first all grain / BIAB too.
First, I lined my brew pot with my paint liners (I used two just in case.) My brew pot is 7 gallons so I was able to put in almost 5 gallons. I had 6 gallons measured out because I lose about 1 gallon during my boil.

Anyway,
1. Lined the pot
2. Threw in grain
3. Filled with water
4. Brought up to 150 (I was about 149-153 for the entire hour of mash)
During the mash I insulated the pot with a couple towels to keep the heat in. I left a very small hole in the top so that I could have a digital thermometer sitting in the top so I could watch the temp.
5. Stirred about every 5-10 minutes
6. Once mash was done I pulled the bag out and set it in the bucket that had the rest of my water in it. Sparged in that. And by sparge I mean I let that sit till it wasn't piping hot and then had a buddy hold the bag and I squeezed out as much yums from it as I could. (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/squeezing-grain-bag-bad-175179/index2.html#post2029310) Then I threw all that into the brew pot.

7. Proceed with recipe as normal. :)

img1663xz.jpg

My insulated brewpot, hooked up to my grills NG line.

Thank you Beermuncher for this recipe! I had been trying to decide what to brew my little brother for his birthday party and this seems like a winner. For some reason, all of my other beers seem to scare his friends :confused:

Thank you Beermuncher for this recipe! I had been trying to decide what to brew my little brother for his birthday party and this seems like a winner. For some reason, all of my other beers seem to scare his friends :confused:

The way you phrase this makes it sound like your little brother and his friends are teenagers. :confused:

Just knocked out 24 more gallons of this last weekend on a marathon, 2 batch 11 hour brewday. Weirdest thing too, out of the 4 fermenters I filled up, one of them took off before the others and it's the only one that all the junk dropped to the bottom already but the airlock is still bubbling? I used safale 04 on all of them too, but from 2 different homebrew stores. Nice to create 200+ beers in one day!

I'll drink the suspicious one first, as an example to the others...

Just tried my first bottle after a week of carbing. Barely any bubbly right now but it still tastes great. I tweaked the hops schedule to make it lean a bit more toward pale ale bitterness.

Definitely will be a regular in my pipeline.

The way you phrase this makes it sound like your little brother and his friends are teenagers. :confused:

He is turning 25, so he has done his fair share of drinking already. Still a college boy at heart though who loves his Bud Light.

This might be a good "transition" beer for him.

anyone know if there is any harm in letting this sit in primary for a month, i know the original instructions only say ten days or so? thats what I have been leaning towards, mostly, lately and gonna be busy in the next few months and not sure if i will have time to bottle it up and am still getting my kegging system put together? thanks

I brewed a batch thsi last weekend at it seems a lot darker than the photo's I have seen of the finished beer. I am hoping that it just lightens up some during fermentation though...

I brewed a batch thsi last weekend at it seems a lot darker than the photo's I have seen of the finished beer. I am hoping that it just lightens up some during fermentation though...

Are you looking at the beer through your carboy or fermenter? Your beer will look a lot darker and even a different hue when viewing through your carboy. Look at your beer when you take a hydrometer reading, this is the true color of the beer.

Biermuncher; using your advice I bottled my "rush" super bowl Centennial Blonde today. Brew day went well, however I hit 78% efficiency and ended up with 1.054 OG. Used a re-pitch 1056 3rd gen, from my neighbor. The beer tastes Great. 10 days in primary Straight to bottle. Gives me 2 weeks plus 4 days, should be fine. Will let you know how this tastes. Oh by the way the beer is slightly cloudy so I will be borrowing your "Unfiltered beer" line. Thanks again.:ban:

Mine has really started to lighten up. Took a reading and am currently at 1.010. Of course I had to drink the hydro sample...really interesting. I like it. I can't wait till this beer is done. Review coming in the next two weeks.

Are you looking at the beer through your carboy or fermenter? Your beer will look a lot darker and even a different hue when viewing through your carboy. Look at your beer when you take a hydrometer reading, this is the true color of the beer.

:) Thats probably it. I have been looking through the carboy at it. It has only been fermenting for a couple of days, so I have not take a hydrometer reading yet.

Thank you!

So I brewed this as my first partial mash tonight. My recipe is as follows

4 lbs 2-row
.5 lb Cara-pils
.5 lb Crystal 10
.5 lb Vienna
1.75 lbs Light DME (ended up using closer to 2.5 lbs because my efficiency was low.

Followed the same hop schedule

Does this look like it would be pretty close to the all grain recipe? Played around on pro mash at the LHBS till it was close enough to all the original specs.

Being my first P.M. I kind of had a hunch that my efficiency was going to be pretty low so I added extra DME to the boil. Sure glad I did because when all was said and done my OG was 1.041 with a anticipated of 1.043 :ban: Can't wait to have this on tap on my new keezer I'm building this week. Just in time for the super bowl!

So I brewed this as my first partial mash tonight.

I'm looking to do the same, (however a tad bit different with the ingredients)
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
Everything else was the same...anyway, can I ask you a couple of questions?

• how much water did you steep grains in,
  • at what temperature and
  • for how long.
  • did you use additional water to rinse the grains? if yes, how much?

I've done other partials (kits or recipes) and everyone has been different. Not sure how to figure out the details on my own yet...

Thanks for your help!

I used 1.25 qt of water/lb of grain so it ended up being 8.25 quarts of water at 152 (or tried at least) degrees F for 60 minutes. I noticed that it was definitely warmer at the bottom the pot than the top so I tended to take my thermometer readings from the bottom. To rinse the grains I heated a second pot of water to 180. To rinse I took the grain bag out and put in a strainer http://www.homebrewers.com/product/T1432/10-14-Stainless-Steel-Strainer.html and used a cup to rinsed Verrrry slow till I had as much wort as my pot could handle after adding the DME. And like I said I totally guessed and added more DME than my recipe called for figuring my efficiency would suck. I just got lucky I guess.

Here is my very first AG. I had to brew this after reading so many positive comments.

5390771956_fa3e942077_b.jpg

My starting gravity was spot on @ 1.041, FG on the other hand is 1.004. I was afraid it would keep going down is i quickly racked it to secondary w/ gelatin. I left it outside in the cold for 12 hours then afraid it might freeze, put it back inside @ ambient of 60 F. Four days later, i racked to keg and force carb. 15 psi while rolling keg on floor until no more co2 is absorbed in solution.

Noob here. I'm going to try the extract version of this recipe this weekend. My pot isn't big enough to do the full 6.5 gallons boil. Would a partial boil (say 3.5 gallons) make much of a difference?

Have all the ingredients to brew this one up this weekend... Between this and EdWorts HPA I brewed last weekend (as well as 5G of a columbus IPA that's two weeks into ferment), these fast fermenting APAs will be a nice 20G kick start for the pipeline (25G with the IPA)!

Then it's on to a STONE IPA clone!...

Yeah Baby! :ban:

Any thoughts on aging this brew. I saw this as a quick turnaround beer but i've been working on 5 of the 10 gals and starting to think about the other 5 just chill'in (ha) in the secondary for the last month or so. It looks super clear and very tasty but im thinking it may be in there for a bit longer. Will this get better with age or better to drink em young?

Any thoughts on aging this brew. I saw this as a quick turnaround beer but i've been working on 5 of the 10 gals and starting to think about the other 5 just chill'in (ha) in the secondary for the last month or so. It looks super clear and very tasty but im thinking it may be in there for a bit longer. Will this get better with age or better to drink em young?
Some aging does not hurt this beer. There is not an abundance of hop aroma to worry about, and the Centennial hops will mellow with some time. Aging this beer is just going to have a lagering (cleaning) effect.

Latest posts

Back