Hopwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Well, I've got a gallon batch cooling in the kettle:

2 oz. Columbus pellets
1 oz. Fuggles whole
1 oz. ginger root sliced thin
1 gallon water
Boil 1 hour
Strain
Add 8 oz. raisins
2.5 lbs sugar (had to use 9 oz. of brown sugar as I ran out of white)
Cool
1 TSP lemon juice (couldn't find the citric acid)
Distiller's Yeast & nutrient

OG 1.125 (not counting raisins)

Says after five days, rack off of raisins

More news in 6-9 months

david_42 said:
Well, I've got a gallon batch cooling in the kettle:

2 oz. Columbus pellets
1 oz. Fuggles whole
1 oz. ginger root sliced thin
1 gallon water
Boil 1 hour
Strain
Add 8 oz. raisins
2.5 lbs sugar (had to use 9 oz. of brown sugar as I ran out of white)
Cool
1 TSP lemon juice (couldn't find the citric acid)
Distiller's Yeast & nutrient

OG 1.125 (not counting raisins)

Says after five days, rack off of raisins

More news in 6-9 months

Good work Mr_42 :D
Pretty similiar to the recipe i've used - Including the 'I ran out off/didn't have it so I included this instead that fit the bill for balance' stipulations!
Mine's in secondary and needs to racked again soon - Let me know on your version - The 6-9month should be when it's bottled and then left for a further 6 months to drink I reckon! :mug:

Actually, I think I saw your post and I worked with what was available. Which reminds me, I need to buy more "white death".

Update: I may have put it in the aging chest too soon. It's been six months & the gravity is 1.024. The recipe had nothing about TG, so who knows. It is also rather cloudy. I think I'll let it warm up & maybe toss a little more yeast in it.

Flavor - I made the mistake of inhaling the first sip. Once the coughing stopped, I was able to actually taste it. Rather sweet and nowhere as bitter as the hopping would indicate. The raisin is stronger than the hops.

I think this can be considered a work in process. If I was starting over, I'd use all flavor/aroma hops, maybe EKG & Fuggles. I'll let it work a while longer, then clarify it before the third racking.

Mine tasted good when I tried it recently (about 3 months ago I think) and it's cleared nicely but i de-gassed and also used bentonite before I racked. I still haven't bottled mine, I'll be aging it for a while longer in bulk before I do (I'm short of wine bottles at the moment!).

Are you adding yeast to the bottle? That doesnt sound like something one would want carbonated. Also, FG is probably high because of the HUGE starting gravity. And, if it tastes bad, you can always distill it! (I didnt say that)

david_42 said:
Update: I may have put it in the aging chest too soon. It's been six months & the gravity is 1.024. The recipe had nothing about TG, so who knows. It is also rather cloudy. I think I'll let it warm up & maybe toss a little more yeast in it.

Flavor - I made the mistake of inhaling the first sip. Once the coughing stopped, I was able to actually taste it. Rather sweet and nowhere as bitter as the hopping would indicate. The raisin is stronger than the hops.

I think this can be considered a work in process. If I was starting over, I'd use all flavor/aroma hops, maybe EKG & Fuggles. I'll let it work a while longer, then clarify it before the third racking.

Sounds like a beer that will improve a lot with age. I love a good barleywine, and yours - or at least the idea behind it - sounds awesome.

It's a strange beast. I tasted it again last month. I think it's about time to bottle. I don't bottle much, but I put high ABV beverages in 12 oz. bottles. 28 oz. of 15-18% is way too much.

Back